B20Z with I/H/E, IM, TB and cams, how much power??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

takemorepills

I have spent hours searching thru B20Z related threads, and I can't seem to find the answer to this question. I did learn a few things, but I'd like to know, how much power does a B20Z make when modified?? Has anyone ACTUALLY done tests on a car that has a B20Z swap??

Specifically, I'm looking for expected power from a B20Z with a BLOX IM, Crower 403 cams, DC Sports 4-2-1 header, AEM CAI and a adjustable FPR, all being controlled by the OBD-0 ECU found in a 90 Teg...

I know stock B20Z "should" make 146HP/133TQ, but I am concerned how much baseline power they make when being used by a old-school B18A1 ECU and a bunch of bolt-ons that I can't find actual performance data for. Yeah all those bolt ons make power, but how much is what I would like to know...

FYI, I need as much torquey, low-mid range NA power as possible for my daily driver 1990 Teg AT. I need a automatic car, but since it needs a new motor, I would like to put in as much non-VTEC NA power as possible....

Anybody have any ideas?? I see some people are not happy with their B20Z swaps, although they are "probably" bottle-necking the motor with either a crappy IM or headers...I dont really know...please help!!

OK
1. You will be over-cammed using the Crower 403's trust me I know from experience unless you are going to bump your compression ratio. If you aren't going to bump your compression maybe look into some Skunk2 stage 1's or Crower Stage 1's.
2. Use a different IM Blox is fair but you might as well get a Skunk2 or Edelbrock.
3. What are your future plans or is this all you are going to do?
4. You won't need a FPR for this. Instead if you are going to do this since you will have the Crowers get some adjustable cam gears for tuning.
5. Let me suggest going with a VTEC head you will be very happy.
6. If you want a guess for hp to the wheels with this setup anyways I will go with 145hp.

Ok I think thats it for now I think I covered everything.

Hi, thanks for the input...but for the sake of discussion, and so I can figure things out....

1. I have seen a few people say that 403's are too much on stock compression. But I have heard much more people say 404's are too much, and that 403's are OK on stock compression..well, maybe they are too much for a 8.8CR B20B?? I dunno...I'm confused again

2. I have heard that Skunk and BLOX are good IM's, and that Edelbrock is a little much if your mototr isn't FI or high revving. I'm trying to keep most of my power happening below 6800 RPM, so I don't need to mess with the auto trans in my car.

3. Future plans....I own a 2001 Infinit QX4, and I will soon buy my buddy's 2001 turbo Prelude (MT), so I REALLY need something that is fairly good on gas and has a auto...at the same time, I love G2 Teggy's, so my plan is to have a AT Teg that makes about 160-170 crank HP..then the rest of my efforts will be focused on making the car look as nice as possible so I have a sweet ride for work. I'm not trying to win any races, but I live in a hilly area, and there are alot of stops on these hills, so I don't want to drive a slug...my QX4 is very powerful, and I would like my Teg to have at least as much balls. Oh yeah, traffic is bad stop and go in my area, my knee cramps up with a stick on bad traffic days.

4. Yup, I agree about the cam gears, but others have said the 2.0 will lean out...anyway, running it a little lean is not so bad, my other Teg runs a little rich....I'd like to keep the MPG decent....

5. I'd love a VTEC if the car was a stick. For now, I need most of my power below 6800 rpm, and thats why I am choosing the B20Z.

6. Sounds about right for a MT car, maybe 130-135 for a AT??

My mom has a 2001 CRV 2WD AT, and it weighs about 650 pounds more than my Teg....but it drives OK... a little slow..but I can imagine a B20Z Teg AT would drive fairly well. My main concern is, all these bolt ons cost an extra thousand bucks, I don't want to waste money on things that dont make power or reduce power. Theres no guarantee that the parts I have chosen will come together to make decent power

1. I had the 403's in my LS setup before going LS/VTEC and it was way over cammed.

2. Your right I would only go with the Edelbrock if you are going forced induction, Blox may be OK for this.

3. Got ya.

4. Maybe instead run a tuning program to fix the A/F ratio Crome, Uberdata, Hondata.

5. I understand.

6. Sorry not sure about AT.

I understand what you are saying YES the Crowers will make power but I am not too sure if it will make a significant amount of power. Maybe what you should do is to do it in waves maybe go stock then do I/H/E and if that's not enough for you look into some cams and other stuff. Hope some of this helped you. Good Luck.

Originally posted by brian11to1@Sep 3 2005, 09:36 PM
to get your power output. go to a dyno. fuck.
[post=549310]Quoted post[/post]​

haha, you are cool. a bad attitude is cool. more people should be like you.

Here, let me try:
"if you need to go somewhere to find answers to your questions, don't come here. fuck. "
am I cool now too??

over 6600 posts, I see you spend alot of time polishing those internet horns tough guy

the internet should just be shut down so everyone has to figure stuff out on their own. right??

Okay if im not mistaken doesnt it say not to post crap like this? If you want to know your Hourse Power goto a dyno thats what there for. There is no way to tell how much power your going to get. Every engine is diffrent and have there own quarks. They may be all the same pieces but they wont have the same hoursepower with the same mods. That being said GOTO A DYNO

PS. Brian and i dont see eye to eye all the time but he is right. Nice shot at a insult man. Were here to help people with there hondas were not walking dyno machines.

Originally posted by takemorepills+Sep 3 2005, 11:28 PM-->

Here, let me try:
"if you need to go somewhere to find answers to your questions, don't come here. fuck. "
am I cool now too??

over 6600 posts, I see you spend alot of time polishing those internet horns tough guy

the internet should just be shut down so everyone has to figure stuff out on their own. right??
[post=549344]Quoted post[/post]​

6600 post of learning and discussion. not "y0 how much powa i make wif dis setup" so, nice attmept to slam me. didnt work. how many threads do you see asking what HP and TQ will be made? Yea, no many. And the ones you do see... have the same responses I gave you. Get over it. Go tto honda-tech if you want someone to guess your numbers.

drpenguin
@Sep 5 2005, 01:39 AM
Okay if im not mistaken doesnt it say not to post crap like this? If you want to know your Hourse Power goto a dyno thats what there for. There is no way to tell how much power your going to get. Every engine is diffrent and have there own quarks. They may be all the same pieces but they wont have the same hoursepower with the same mods. That being said GOTO A DYNO

PS. Brian and i dont see eye to eye all the time but he is right. Nice shot at a insult man. Were here to help people with there hondas were not walking dyno machines.
[post=549704]Quoted post[/post]​

werd! thanks man.

Originally posted by brian11to1+Sep 5 2005, 02:01 AM-->
Originally posted by takemorepills@Sep 3 2005, 11:28 PM

Here, let me try:
am I cool now too??

[post=549344]Quoted post[/post]​

6600 post of learning and discussion. not "y0 how much powa i make wif dis setup" so, nice attmept to slam me. didnt work. how many threads do you see asking what HP and TQ will be made? Yea, no many. And the ones you do see... have the same responses I gave you. Get over it. Go tto honda-tech if you want someone to guess your numbers.

drpenguin
@Sep 5 2005, 01:39 AM

[post=549704]Quoted post[/post]​

werd! thanks man.
[post=549708]Quoted post[/post]​

What you think I am, some punk kid with my hat on backwards and sporting "APC" stickers on my car that I got with my fake HID bulbs?? If you read my post at first, it says "for the sake of discussion". I didn't open a door for you to come in here and sh1t on me. If you didn't like my vagueness or naiveness, you can just ignore the post and let it die down. Guaranteed I won't complain if nobody has anything GOOD to say.

You should never disrespect people you don't know or who aren't as fluent at internet bashing as yourselves. I may not know you, but by first impressions you guys seem like total asses I would never want to meet. It's assholes like you guys that are just waiting for stupid questions. I can post more stupid questions if you like.

okay well were sorry. Next time read the rules of the board befor you post on it. It says dont post with stuff like this asking what power your gonna get. We flammed you cause you didnt follow the rules. If you read as much as you say you did you would have come across it better yet here https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7 read that and then lets see what you got to say :slap:

:search:

Back