Baby got some new shoes!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16

Super Moderator
VIP
:)

Got some new wheels and tires today for the slo. Some black slipstreams in 15x7 and some 205/50/15 Toyo RA-1's shaved to 4/32nd's. Damn I can't wait to get on the track with these puppies :)
gallery_106_2_23837.jpg

gallery_106_2_30784.jpg

gallery_106_2_2213.jpg

Anyone want some free Rota center caps? They look like CF!! :p

are those the new toyo RA1 drag radials?? cus i was gonna buy two of those the other day...they look good....nice Slips..overall nice T&R combo..just dont eat the curb with those slips man lol

i plan on getting some Toyo proxes RA1 drag radials 225/50/14,and im only gonna buy two for the front...let me know how they hook man.

Not for drag, they are road race tires. :)
And don't worry about curb rashes, these things will never see public roads.

they look great....but why did you shave them? mind you i dont do road race....just drag

I would imagine to flatten out the tread surface and mill off the stiff outer compound.

Keep in mind this is just me talking from my ass.

:p

Here is the reason:
The RA1 comes molded at 8/32 of rubber, which is quite a bit of rubber for a race tire. There are two reasons for shaving. The first reason is make the tread blocks shorter. This keeps the tread from rolling over during cornering and building up too much heat. (Which can lead to chunking) This can contribute to making the car feel unstable and loose. The second reason to shave is to make the tire faster sooner. By cutting the tread down it makes the tire more responsive immediately and strangely enough also helps the tire last longer. How much to cut depends on which type of driving you intend to do.

People only run them at full tread depth for racing in the rain.

the stupiditiy of this thread astounds me.

DRAG?

CURB?

you've got to be fucking kidding me...

mike- nice setup.
i'm looking at the ao32r's or the avon tech-r's.... never been a fan of toyo... i dunno.

not 100% sure on this one but from the shaved tires i have seen my best guess would be they put them on a machine kinda like a big ass lathe

RA-1's are the shit, we have run them on several spec miatas, and on several honda challenge cars. In fact I have yet to find a better "street tire," for the track.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 18 2005, 12:42 PM
the stupiditiy of this thread astounds me.

DRAG?

CURB?

you've got to be fucking kidding me...

mike- nice setup.
i'm looking at the ao32r's or the avon tech-r's.... never been a fan of toyo... i dunno.
[post=513773]Quoted post[/post]​

Haha, some people are just clueless, its ok :)

I was considering the tech-r's or even the khumo 710's. The advans are pretty expensive aren't they? I chose these just because they're the spec tire for honda challenge, which is where I'm working towards. I'm sure these will be night and day compared to my kuhmo mx's or azenis. :p

Back