back fire when i shift

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashed4thgen

iam goin to give my car a ture up..it needs it
90 std hatch with 0bd1 ls motor...

iam wondering if i got a problem though..
when i bring the rpm's high then shift (let out of the gas) my car lets out a mean backfire...i know the down pipe isnt set right...(its a loud pop)..

any ideas other than timing?

Backfiring is a telltale sign of running rich. If you don't have a catalytic convertor on your car, unburnt fuel can make its way farther back in your exhaust system and pop. My car does that very seldom, often accompanied by a small burst of flame from my exhaust tip. I have it on video, it looks pretty cool although I do know its not good. :D

well the reson i think i hear it so bad is my downpipe is no longer connected to the cat....found out today...but seriusly shouldent i be worried
?

That's probably the only reason it's backfiring. If you have no backpressure, whenever you let off the gas, it's gonna burble a bit. It's probably gonna get really loud if it's coming right off the DP. Is that the noise you are hearing? I pulled the muffler off of my 91 teg to hear what it sounded like, and when I revved it, and then let off the gas, the exhaust would bubble from the lack of back pressure. It sounded cool, and my honda mechanic, Aaron from Landis Automotive up here in San Luis, said it wasn't going to hurt my motor as long as I had the cat and the pipe section still on. Integras are hella loud w/o a muffler, and sound wicked cool!

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Nov 24 2003, 02:15 AM
the exhaust would bubble from the lack of back pressure. It sounded cool

haha, yeah that bubbling sound is great, i loved laughing at my friends eg running open header, sounded like it was sunk in a lake, and yes, it did back fire a bit

its funny how loud these stupid little 4 bangers can be. My dad said he could hear the tone of my exhaust, or lack thereof, like half a mile before I got home at night. louder and cooler sounding than any exhaust I've heard. But the tanabe medallion gets my vote for the nicest sounding exhaust. sorry, don't mean to be a post whore. Get the dp of your exhaust hooked back up, and tell us how it goes.

did anyone mention that is illegal?? i used to run 2.5inch piping and a 6 inch tip, nothing in the middle from my 4-2-1 header. you think you have heard loud....i could not even talk to the passenger

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Nov 25 2003, 07:05 PM
BAH

loud is a TT supra with a 4in straight pipe

actually a non turbo supra would be louder b/c a turbo acts as a natural silencer.

This topic has gone off topic. If you wish to continue the original topic, please start a new thread. This topic has been closed.

:locked:

Thank you, the moderating team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back