Battery Light, not alternator

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey Guys,

I believe in Murphy's Law now, if everything can go wrong, everything will go wrong.... Ok, i fixed a bunch of stuff to get my CRX hf with a b16 swap so i can finally get her on the road. well now my battery light comes on. My alternator is good, already been checked... It is a matter of time after driving it that all of teh electronics inside the car go dead. Obviously the charge the alternator is putting out is not getting to the electronics in the car or recharging the battery... So I think that I may have a ground wire problem. Here is what i have so far,,, I have the battery ground, that grounds to the tranny (on the clutch cable bracket), i have the vtec subwire harness ground that grounds to a bracket on the tranny, i have a ground that goes from the head to the frame... those three are the ones i could identify, I have read about a tranny ground, and also about the main harness ground that goes to the starter... where are these grounds? do i have to make a ground from the tranny to the frame?, where the hell is the main harness ground on the starter? any and all help will be appreciated. It is late here in baltimore, and i am out trying to get my baby road ready, I am thankful; for any help you can give me...

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

ok, i don't want to sound like an ass, but at least can someone tell me where all of the ground wires should be... i need somewhere to start, anything will help at this point

Follow the wires from the battery. I don't recall the starter having a seperate ground. I think it uses the engine as a ground. I haven't touched a starter in two years though.

once i had the same problem and i got my altenator checked out and they told me it was fine.....well i decided that since i checked everything else and the altenator was under warrantee i would try and change it anyway.....solved all my problems....i think the voltage regulator was giving too much voltage so it appeared to be giving voltage cause it was but too much!

yeah, I work at an auto parts store, so tested the alternators, new and old myself, and i was able to confirm that both the alternators and voltage regulators were functioning properly ( outputof about 14-15 Volts). Even the old one was fine... i found all of the grounds, took them off and cleaned the surfaces off and reconnected them, still nothing was fixed. I think i am gonna get a battery this week, just becuase my old one is dead, and even if it has no effect on my problem, i can replace it for free at my work. I am also gonna get my hands on a mutlimeter to see if i am getting voltages going through the wiring coming off of the alternator. I will have to let you know waht happens, still any help is appreciated...

I had a problem like that in my 98 DX a while back. It was a the ground wire from the battery not making a good connection to the chassis.

ok thanks i will have to double chekc that ground... i will keep everyone updated...

the ground that your talking about on the starter is on the thrmostat housing it goes to the ecu from the engine wire harness. if its not hooked up you wont even be able to start the car.

-joseph

Back