Best Place To Find A Sol <in Nj?>

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

totalburnout

VIP
Here's the deal....I currently have a '94 Sol S right now but its in the shop

The car has a rust problem on the back left panel over the wheel well
its been keyed
it has some dents and stuff on it

+ now it needs 1200 of work to make it completely mechanically sound, supposedly. Unless its not what they think it is...and it costs more.

But anyway, I was thinking of selling the car off and getting another Sol. I just can't seem to find any

I've tried
njautonet.com
cars.com
autotrader.com
Daily Record Classifieds
Star Ledger

I'm in North Jersey about 40 mins out of the city.

Depending on the amount of cancer your Sol has, it sounds like good candidate for a swap.

Crappy inexpensive cars make good projects, because you won't mind tearing into it because it's already half broken.
Put it this way. Would you like to perminantely modify a $9,000 97 del Sol VTEC that you'll have for the next 5 years?

Fix the body of your Sol the right way, by actually removing the rust, not covering it up, and take that $1200 and spend it on a cheap B16 swap.

You'll be much happier, and not owe thousands of dollars.
Also, keep in mind your suspension is easily swappable with a newer Integra GS-R, so if you're concerned about having rear drums, find a wrecked Integra and swap the entire suspension, trailing arms, brakes, everything. $ to investment ratio on a crappy Honda is better than getting a new one and wrecking it by doing something to it that you're stuck with for 5 years.

Originally posted by Hater@Mar 30 2003, 09:01 AM
Depending on the amount of cancer your Sol has, it sounds like good candidate for a swap.

Crappy inexpensive cars make good projects, because you won't mind tearing into it because it's already half broken.
Put it this way. Would you like to perminantely modify a $9,000 97 del Sol VTEC that you'll have for the next 5 years?

Fix the body of your Sol the right way, by actually removing the rust, not covering it up, and take that $1200 and spend it on a cheap B16 swap.

You'll be much happier, and not owe thousands of dollars.
Also, keep in mind your suspension is easily swappable with a newer Integra GS-R, so if you're concerned about having rear drums, find a wrecked Integra and swap the entire suspension, trailing arms, brakes, everything. $ to investment ratio on a crappy Honda is better than getting a new one and wrecking it by doing something to it that you're stuck with for 5 years.

The thing is I really don't have an overwhelming amount of cash right now...and I'm just in High School. I would have to play brat and con mommy and daddy out of lots of money right now, when its a terrible time since the economy sucks dick. to add to the problem I know nadda about car repair and installation so i'd have to have the work done by someone else.

plus the body of the car isn't that great. the rust has become structural now and i'll pretty much never get rid of it. there's dents all over it(both small and big) and it needs a new paintjob

I am in highschool too and i also have a sol. I want to make it faster and all so I just peice mill everything. Buy wheels one month, tires the next, teins 2 months later. Slowly but surely my car is getting better. Do you have a Job right now? If not, find one. Let the do what it wants for now, then when you have a decent amount saved up, get the body restorded.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Mar 30 2003, 01:09 PM
I am in highschool too and i also have a sol. I want to make it faster and all so I just peice mill everything. Buy wheels one month, tires the next, teins 2 months later. Slowly but surely my car is getting better. Do you have a Job right now? If not, find one. Let the do what it wants for now, then when you have a decent amount saved up, get the body restorded.

I don't have a job right now because I do sports and really don't have the time for it. I have some money saved up that I've saved here and there for a long while...its not that much though.

I'm also mad into paintball so thats another expensive hobby.

When summer comes around, I'm going to get a job and hopefully make atleast 2-3grand.

One problem is that I don't have a shop that I'm close with (personally) to do the work. My parents have taken cars all around here and never seem to be happy with price and/or quality of work done. Plus my car is a 1.5L SOHC right now w/ out VTEC so swapping out to a 1.6L DOHC VTEC will be a challenge for a shop I suppose and just more reason to charge out the ass.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 31 2003, 02:02 AM
buy mine :) see sig

sorry if i get another one i'm def. going for a DOHC VTEC w/ under 100k on it

plus i'm a young guy... I know what young guys do to their cars <_<

I need to find a nice little bish that knows how to drive 5spd and babied the hell out of the car.

+ anyway, as it stands my parents just dropped $1400 on my ass and its on the shop getting fixed.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Mar 31 2003, 05:47 PM

i bet he dates boys too :p

I prefer to be labeled man-child. :rolleyes:

Find you an S. Swap out to rear disk. Throw in a B series motor and be done with it. Cheap insurance and its the lightest model

Originally posted by Roro+Apr 1 2003, 09:21 AM-->
New2TheCarScene
@Mar 31 2003, 05:47 PM

i bet he dates boys too :p

I prefer to be labeled man-child. :rolleyes:

Find you an S. Swap out to rear disk. Throw in a B series motor and be done with it. Cheap insurance and its the lightest model

...I have an S right now.

'94 S to be exact.

I've heard that the rust was structural....but oh well, hopefully when I get some cash I could get that shit fixed or atleast contained for a good while.

I was thinking about it in class today. My parents are dropping all this cash on my car.... I'll have to get a job over the summer, save up some cash. Have body work done to fix the rust and dents, and then repaint it. Depending on how much money I have, I'll have to look into a trustworthy shop around in Northern NJ/NY to do a swap or some performance work for me.

Back