Best Way To Pull The Axels On '97 Civic Ex

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BrainFood

I am pulling the transaxel in a '97 civic ex and havnt ever done it before I think I have everything under control just looking for the best way to pull the axels out of the transaxel so I can drop the trans? I have done clutch jobs on other cars but this is for a good friend of mine and I havnt really done any honda car work before, any help would be greatly appreciated.

thx
Bryan

Remove the axle nut. Unbolt the lower shock fork, remove it. Remove the shock, and the upper wishbone thing. This will allow the brake caliper and rotor to swing to the left. Pull the hub assembly outward while tapping on the axle end to break it loose. After the hub is off the axle, get a ball joint splitter and use that to pull the axle out of the tranny.

There is another way to do this involving removing the lower balljoint, but i found that its not the best way to do it cause its all to easy to break the balljoint dust boot.

fuck that, if your breaking a ball joint on a honda it's just easiers to hit the lca with a hammer and/or pry up against the spindle and arm, it doesn't take shit to split those, because pickle forks are nice, but i've never had to ever use one on a honda, and why risk splitting your dust boot

thx for the suggestions, I just droped the lower a-arm though really easy and I didnt even have to remove the wheels/tires to pull the trans out. thx!

don't forget the cotter pin

and this is not swap related. please post in the right forum
moving to general tech

Originally posted by BrainFood@Jan 21 2003, 01:07 AM
thx for the suggestions, I just droped the lower a-arm though really easy and I didnt even have to remove the wheels/tires to pull the trans out. thx!

what did you pry the inner joints outta the tranny??? if so i gaurantee it won't work like that puttin it back in, you'll have to disassemble the suspension. that and it just gives you alot more room to work with if you drop the passenger side suspension and get it all outta there.

Back