boost+bad valve seals=?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ef9civicgen4

I kinda figure that if I put a turbo on my engine and it has bad valve seals (ie; puff of smoke when I first start my car) they will probably completely disintegrate. is there any horrible things that may happen to my engine/turbo if my valve seals fail? if it does smoke more, will it be a little or ALOT? knowing they will probably fail, is it possible to change the seals without removing the head?

valve seals will not be hurt by boost, higher revs maybe, harder beating on the motor, maybe, but not boost itself

yes, you can change valve seals without removing the head
they make a tool that threads in the spark plug hole and it uses air pressure to hold the valves closed so you can remove retainer/springs, old seals and install new seals

just to double check that it is my valve seals. here are the symptoms. puff of smoke when i first start my car, and a small amount of smoke when accelerating. (the smoke while accelerating seems to only happen within the first 5-10min of driving)

you can change the valve seals with the head on. you need an air compressor to do it though.

its much harder.

Back