Boosting a B20

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hondata will give you what you want, at an expense nearly 4x the cost of buying a socketed ecu and crome. But it is your money. If I was going to buy a marketed EMS, I'd go electromotive or MoTec, and get all the accelerometer goodies that you can get to monitor your car with. But that is overkill. Talk to Rocket about maybe setting you up with some turbo cams, he knows what he is talking about, and can get custom cams at a decent price, like not much than S2 off-the-shelfers. He has a LOT of smart guys on www.m24x.com too. I"d go with the .61 A/R, since it will allow for a little more power growth at the top end as you build the engine more. The smaller the trim, I've read, the better the initial response, but the less top end boost it can support. But I don't really know what kind of driving qualities you are looking for. If you just want some more low and mid range grunt, go with the lower A/R

Originally posted by MikeBergy+Jul 5 2005, 07:50 PM-->
Sounds like fun. You I wouldn't aim for anything above 300whp on the stock block. That is probably more than you need anyway. You'll have some fat torque with that bad mamajama, 13's should be easy. As for the rebuild, a rehone, some fresh rings, and bearings should do it. Maybe pull the crank and get it micropolished.
[post=521132]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

300whp is a good goal on the stock B20.

Originally posted by brian11to1@Jul 5 2005, 10:39 PM
so nobody else has any input?
[post=521241]Quoted post[/post]​

:thumbsup:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 6 2005, 08:06 AM
while you know i love FR and their stuff, i think its overkill for anyone running a stock block. there's really no point to it if you're not going for big numbers.
[post=521389]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 6 2005, 08:06 AM
and your stock b20 sleeves won't hold big numbers. i wouldn't aim for anything more than 250 whp on those things in the hot heat of the desert.

Ah, in the desert, yeah- 250-260whp is pretty safe. 300whp is still possible, but more of a stretch.

pissedoffsol
@Jul 6 2005, 08:06 AM
310's are for all motor cars. if you want in the mid 250-300s, you need 450-550s

:lol:

Nah, 310s are for stock-ish cars. 450-550 is for all motor, 750-850 for turbo. :D

when I said 300 was the goal for HP on 7lbs, I realized I would not be able to attain on something so low. So, I decided with more research there are a few people running 14lbs on a stock B20 and have been doing so with no problems. So, I decided to actually go for the gold and shoot for 10 daily, 14 track. With hondata s100

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 7 2005, 10:09 AM
psi means jack shit...

power breaks stuff, not psi
[post=522085]Quoted post[/post]​

Thank you. 5 psi on a gt25 isn't going to be anything like 5 psi on a t70......

Apples to oranges

Originally posted by brian11to1@Jul 7 2005, 08:05 AM
when I said 300 was the goal for HP on 7lbs, I realized I would not be able to attain on something so low. So, I decided with more research there are a few people running 14lbs on a stock B20 and have been doing so with no problems. So, I decided to actually go for the gold and shoot for 10 daily, 14 track. With hondata s100
[post=522064]Quoted post[/post]​

*cough* CROME *cough*

having owned hondata in the past-- and the full deal with every option--, i will tell you that i'd rather use crome. and not because of the price point either.

him, i guess some more research is due. but, there are still open questions about the injectors, AR trim and something else i cant think of

Brian(pissedofsol) -every one pisses all over the b20's sleeves but not to many people have actually driven a b20 to actually know. I drove my b20 for a long while before it was stolen no problems. I know a few other people up here boosting b20's getting 300 hp and some others not getting quite that but still happy with their power. No its not going all out drag but it fun streetable and safe. The b20 is a great motor as any other motor if maintained and not overly abused. Of course like with any other motors of the factory you will tend to find the junk motor once in a while which i tend to think is the case with the dread storys on b20 blocks , or maybe some little kid over revving his b20 like its a gsr on a chipped ecu! wonder why that would crack sleeves. Ive read alot on here but also did my research all over the internet and through my own experience would say 300 is fully possible on a b20 brian11to1, use which ever ems you feel safe and are happy in using . as for injectors yes i think you are in the 450 range as cal sais , fuel pump might as well get the 255 lph . I would also like to ask which intake manifold are you using - if you have not already moved from the b20 to the ls mani i would do that or even more so look into after market!

Originally posted by brian11to1+Jul 7 2005, 08:05 AM-->
[post=522064]Quoted post[/post]​

Sounds like a good deal- but don't focus on pressure, just the proper turbo sizing and your power goals. A goal of 300whp is perfectly attainable on a B20.

b204dr
@Jul 8 2005, 05:53 AM
Brian(pissedofsol) -every one pisses all over the b20's sleeves but not to many people have actually driven a b20 to actually know. I drove my b20 for a long while before it was stolen no problems. I know a few other people up here boosting b20's getting 300 hp and some others not getting quite that but still happy with their power. No its not going all out drag but it fun streetable and safe. The b20 is a great motor as any other motor if maintained and not overly abused. Of course like with any other motors of the factory you will tend to find the junk motor once in a while which i tend to think is the case with the dread storys on b20 blocks , or maybe some little kid over revving his b20 like its a gsr on a chipped ecu! wonder why that would crack sleeves. Ive read alot on here but also did my research all over the internet and through my own experience would say 300 is fully possible on a b20 brian11to1, use which ever ems you feel safe and are happy in using . as for injectors yes i think you are in the 450 range as cal sais , fuel pump might as well get the 255 lph . I would also like to ask which intake manifold are you using - if you have not already moved from the b20 to the ls mani i would do that or even more so look into after market!
[post=522514]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd: :werd: :werd:

Originally posted by b204dr@Jul 8 2005, 06:53 AM
[post=522514]Quoted post[/post]​

holy crap dude. thats what i wantd to here. uhm, i plan on using a skunk2 manifold.

Brian rock the Edelbrock IM I hear and have seen some good things with boost on that IM. Yo how's AZ by the way?

how's AZ, fucking hot. but i love it.

the edelbrock IM, how much do those go for?

Back