Bought a New Truck

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
New to me anyway.

IMG_20180428_124137479.jpg

Decided after CA wouldn't let me put an intake on my truck that I needed something pre-1975 to play with.

1959-1961 International Harvester B-Series. Not sure if I had ever seen one prior to this one, but I love the body style. Unsure of the year as it's not in the CA system anymore and the owner didn't have the original title. AAA tells me that it won't be a problem to get a duplicate title.

Anyway, in my search that led me to this truck, I met a guy who spends all his spare time doing diesel conversions. 6BT, 4BT, TDI, Mercedes, everything. His backyard was a playground. Diesels in a Suzuki Samurai, Land Rover, old Ford pick-up, etc. I'm entertaining working with him to either put a 6BT in this, or do a full on body swap. I'm half thinking to get it to a point that reliability and MPGs are so good that I might sell my 1500. Sure would like to be out from under that $400 payment every month. I guess time will tell.

Attachments

• IMG_20180428_124133234.jpg
    IMG_20180428_124133234.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 346
  • IMG_20180428_124157106.jpg
    IMG_20180428_124157106.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 451
  • IMG_20180428_125739130.jpg
    IMG_20180428_125739130.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 304
  • IMG_20180428_125747233.jpg
    IMG_20180428_125747233.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 318
  • IH-6.jpg
    IH-6.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 367
Last edited:
DMV is going to love me. I'm having the hardest time even figuring out the exact year. Old IH documents are a lot of handwritten memos that were scanned online 30 years ago.

No old site with vin info?
Doesn't seem like it. I found the same hand written memo in 3 places during my search. I believe it is a 1960 B110 that was built in Springfield, Ohio. The problem with a production year, is it wasn't necessarily the titled year in the late 50s, early 60s.

I'm buying it from the son of the late father, so no paperwork has been found up to this point. All I have is a Serial Number (pre-VIN) and the old plates that were on it. The plates are stickered for 1998, so hopefully the DMV can find something to get it titled. AAA said if I can get my hands on even an old registration, they can get a new title, but with just what I have, I have to use the DMV.

man in georgia if over 25 years old they dont need a title we just get it tagged/registered with a bill of sale and whatever vin you can put down on it , if any hassle just have to get it inspected by a officer soo can verify its not reported stolen if vin isnt in the computer system, at that point can file for a bonded title (in georgia also a bonded title clears as a regular title and after its resold a normal title comes back) I have a few friends that sale me cars and I sale them back with a georgia title if you catch my drift

man in georgia if over 25 years old they dont need a title we just get it tagged/registered with a bill of sale and whatever vin you can put down on it , if any hassle just have to get it inspected by a officer soo can verify its not reported stolen if vin isnt in the computer system, at that point can file for a bonded title (in georgia also a bonded title clears as a regular title and after its resold a normal title comes back) I have a few friends that sale me cars and I sale them back with a georgia title if you catch my drift
I was planning on selling it to a friend in NJ only to buy it back if it had CA DMV fees attached, haha.

I should be fine with the title though. Lady at AAA said it happens all the time. If a car sits on the non-op list for 10 years or something it gets wiped from the system. Shouldn't be much to get it back. If not, I'm not against using some gray tactics.

Sweet truck, good luck with the build. How available are parts for the truck?

Sweet truck, good luck with the build. How available are parts for the truck?
Short answer is they are not. You'll find stuff here and there, but nothing like an old Willys or even the Scouts. I imagine this truck will become a little more restomod as stuff breaks and I can't find replacements. It's seriously simple though. Not much to go wrong in the first place.

I have done next to zero research, but I was thinking Crown Vic front suspension and a diesel. Probably swap the rear axle to get some better gearing and discs as well. Cosmetically, I plan to do exactly nothing. I think it looks bad ass somewhere between a survivor and a rat rod. Just needs a passenger window (plexi already, but broken) and one of the rear window sections.

But in the immediate, I want to see if I can get it running with the straight 6. Looks pretty complete other than a missing carburetor.

Back