brake problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

calmfornow

System Failure Racing
shyo peoples.....so to start with the car, it is a 91 honda accord LX 4dr. my brake pedal goes to the floor, and i have to pump the brakes to get pressure, if i pump the brakes the pedal goes up, i get pressure, and she stops. i first replaced the master cylinder, didnt fix it at all, so i put another new one in, and still no work. i bench bled both cylinders also. i replaced one caliper, and the slides are greased nice. i also bled the system like five times, but i bled them from "driver rear, passanger rear, passanger front, driver front". i was told with hondas you have to bleed criss cross, i didnt know if this would fix the problem.

new master cylinder, tested and good brake booster, no leaks, new D side caliper with both sides greased, and pedal still goes right to the floor.
please help on insight/input
thanks

Sometimes they can be a little wierd on bleeding the lines. I did polyurethane bushings on the chassis of my '91 hatch - pulled it all apart in the process. When the rear arms came off I didn't cap off the brake lines and they drained most of the fluid out. Anyway, getting the system bled correctly took a little doing. couldn't get there using the master cylinder as the fluid source for a good bleed. Ended up pulling lines from the MC and using a large hypodermic cylinder filled with brake fluid and hooked up to the lines at the master cylinder one at a time with a piece of silicon tubing - that purged the air from the lines. Then, quickly and carefully reconnected lines to the master cylinder. Flushed the lines out real good front to rear.

With a new master cylinder and no visible leaks it probably just has air in the lines as the brake system pumps up and stops your car.

Last edited:
How are you bleeding the brakes? I always use a bottle and a vacuum hose. fill the bottle partially with fluid and put the hose over the bleeder and the other side in the bottle below the fluid. open the bleeder and have a buddy pump it. Also keep an eye on the MC as to not run out of fluid. look for bubbles and dirty fluid. when clean fluid comes out move on to the next one. Take your time!!!!!

i tried bleeding the brakes with a vacuum pump as well as someone cracking open the bleeder with someone in the car hitting the brakes (traditional style lol),

I couldn't get mine to bleed properly with the old school pump pedal and crack valves. It was the rear slave cylinders that was the problem.

Literally had to flush out the lines with brake fluid. I suspect an air pocked was caught somewhere in the system and it took a huge volume of fluid to push it through.

i work at a shop, and i recently had to do more training, what we were on the topic of brakes, and what the instructor and i both think is....my rear wheel cylinders, when this problem started ages ago, it happened after my rear wheel cylinder blew apart, so i replaced them both, and what he dealt with one time, is that he replaced wheel cylinders on a customers car, and it kept getting air in the lines, and what happened was the seal wasnt seated right from factory and every time you let up on the brakes, it pulls a little bit of air in the system. so im thinkin i have defective wheel cylinder from advanced auto

That's absolutely possible. On mine, I just had to flush out the lines to get the air out. Couldn't get there just pumping up the master cylinder.

Back