Building a B18B for boost

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Also seeing as though this is my first build, if there are any other threads you think may be beneficial to me then please send them my way ;D

R u building da block??? Reliability starts from there especially when u gonna beat on it...forge pistons and rods are cheap insurance, sleeve not necessary for your HP.. what cams u using?

Ok, I have just found someone here locally selling Mahle 9.0:1 Pistons with Eagle H Beam Rods for $350. Are Mahle good? Should I jump on it?

mahle is great stuff.

see if you can barter with the seller and allow him/her to let you take the pistons and rods to be checked over by a machine shop.

if they were used in a build that came apart, or spun a bearing, metal shavings could be embedded in the piston, and could actually scar up your cylinder walls. That, and have them check that everything is true and on weight, it'd be worth your $$$ if they are in usable shape.

if you have the money get the walls sleeved!!! cant stress it enough. block guard is waste of money.
to hit 300 -350 you need a good turbo at about 15 psi you'll get it.

really? you are the first to say that I need the block sleeved on this forum and another that I have. Will the block really not be able to handle 300-350Hp? If I get the block sleeved then I'll be damned if I stop at 15hp and/or 350Hp.

Last edited:
im running 320whp on stock sleeves just fine. and thats a very moderate tune compared to what the car will see..

I know I sound remedial but how can I tell which tranny I have? I know that its an early b16 tranny but Im not sure which.

I wanna kno too, anyways I herd somewhere that the Ls tranny (long gears) are good for turbo setup, cuz wit da short gears tranny by the time the turbo spool up u would need to shift nd lose boost but I also herd otherwise, so someone correct me if I'm wrong..since I got a Ls tranny I'm just gonna rebuild it nd ride it out...ALL LS NO VTEC.... turbo>vtec anyday...lovein da boost,IMO...300-350hp don't need sleeve just good tuning even 400hp.

Ok, I just bought the Mahle pistons and eagle rod combo, BUT they are for a GSR. Will they fit with no clearance problems on a B18A1 Crank inside a B18A1 Block? or If I get a Gsr Crank, will it fit in the B18A1 block with those rods and pistons?

Back