bypass valve vs. blow off valve.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

boostedf22

dis is why im not
Someone smack me if this is a stupid question.

When I got my turbo kit it came with a turbonetics bov. That makes a sound I can not stand . So I picked up an old HKS bypass valve for free. I didnt know it was a bypass valve when it was giving to me . I looked it up online and this is what it looks like
1271.jpg

Whats the difference between the two ?

180845127.jpg

I think the difference is that a bypass valve is for MAF cars, and bypasses air from charge pipes back into intake pre-MAF sensor.

Blowoff lets out air unmetered, as well as bypassing it from charge pipes.

So I guess main difference is one vents to atmosphere, and one doesn't?

Which one should I use them ?

Last edited:
i know shit about turbos.. so i wouldnt be a useful resource .. but they look the same to me..

ok i kno a little bit about this... the blow of valve will let it all out at once and may cause your car to run a bit lean because the ecu is expecting more air and may cause gas to not get bunt and pass into the exhast system and cause flames out the tail pipe... the bypass i do belive lets out the presure but also puts it back into the intake and cause the car to run the right fuel mixture.... its something like that, but i would double check with another person that may be more experianced

hondas run map, not maf, so a re-circulating valve is not needed
(thats why all the 240's and drift cars and shit back fire flames... they are running a normal bov, which causes the fuel to ignite in the mani and flame out)

you're better off with a BOV.

i'd suggest the Tial 50mm. sounds sweet and not ricey like the greddy

Back