CA BAR: FAILED; 92 Vx with 95 B18c1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rhymeshark916

Hey everyone. New to this site. I just signed up. Failed smog trying to BAR my Civic. Looking for answers that I'm not getting from H-T. Thanks to everyone for their help. Please no HATERS. Keep your negative comments out.

Engine breakdown:

95 b18C1(100 miles)
B16 tranny
CTRcams
USDM ITR pistons
DC header 4/1
GSR Magnaflow catalytic convert(crappy)
ITR B+pipe w/muffle
stock RS intake pipe with old/dirty filter(no box)

new ngk bkr7e spark plugs & wires(I didn't gap, just slapped it in)
new ntk/ngk o2 sensor
17' btdc
Stock P72

HC CO NO
127/301/242 0.79/2.29/2.42 825/2039/150
101/251/3.14 0.68/2.18/3.14 764/1839/113

first off you're going to need a good cat.. what was your HC reading? i cant tell from how you typed it out

Never mind the numbers from the first post.

4e2c68a320fb3a93e38e6c2dec5c2807.jpg

like I said before.. need a good cat or the numbers are only going to continue to get worse

What makes you say the Magnaflow cat is crappy? That is all we install here and they are one of the nicest aftermarket cats I have seen. Where in CA are you?

guessin Sac by the ref location on the smog sheet.. lol.. if the cat is old and worn its crappy and no longer functions correctly

Well the Magnaflow cat is the next best thing to OE, although, it may not be a California compliant cat. When we look up cats for vehicles, we have to select the California only online catalog. Someone may have used the 49 state cat, which will fail California emissions.

yep.. the CA one costs much more than the rest

Update:

Pulled the header off and there's oil in the two middle exhaust ports.(3 &2?) F*cking bad valve seals. Even though it is brand new with new valve guides.

UPDATE: New GSR swap. Didn't change a thing but using my spark plug wires, O2 sensor and Magnaflow Cat. Here is the result. Obviously, how do you lower the HC now?

Attachments

• IMG00169-20110615-1410.jpg
    IMG00169-20110615-1410.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 253
how old is the o2 sensor?

its the sensor or the cat ..

:mad: :mad::mad: New with the fresh build on the other motor with just a little over 100 miles. I think the O2 is not working properly or just suck for $50.

when i was trying to BAR my EG i kept failing the HC test too.. sent it to a family friends shop for diagnosis and it was the o2 ..

Well the one I have is practically brand new. It might be f*ked up due to last motor running super rich. I don't really know. NTK/NGK what not.

hmmm... not sure.. have a smog diagnostic done on it.. only thing i can suggest to do instead of spending a bunch of money on parts you dont need

Back