CA Failed smog test with BAR'd 2000 GSR swap Civic 2000

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Noodler

I just failed a smog test today.

Theres 3 fails.

RESULT ECS
FAIL- MIL

HC (PPM) 15MPH
MAX: 60
AVE: 9
MEAS: 72

THIS VEHICLE FAILED THE MIL/CHECK ENGINE LIGHT DUE TO OBD COMMUNICATION FAILURE.

I just bought the car and was told it passed smog. I can see that it wasn't too bad of a fail. The swap passed BAR w/sticker and the smog tech's visual.

The ECU is a P75 which I think is from an LS with a jumper harness.
I think this link is what the harness looks like https://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=122&idproduct=2040

But heres a picture of the actual harness and ECU.
2q30xz7.jpg

4g6f6c.jpg

The ECU is probably converted for VTEC. It hits VTEC

I only drove about 2 miles to the smog station from the first start up of the day. Could this be the reason behind the HC (PPM)?

I plan to buy a GSR OBD2 ECU tomorrow to replace the LS ECU. Will I be able to hook up a the GSR ECU to my original pins without the harness?

Can the the failure to communicate with the OBD by caused by the LS ECU being converted/OBD1?

And the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) failed, I really don't know the reason, the CEL isn't on, when I start up the car, it turns on and off like the others.

Last edited:
the HC levels tell me that either the cat or o2 sensor is no good.. in CA they have repair assistance program if you fail smog... i had to do it w/ my bar'd b16 hatch

Also, you've got a huge unshielded hot wire going over the ECU wires. That could cause interference.

makes me cry to know that i could have moved to texas.

you should. really, i swear they barely do an emissions check here, they check tire tread and that your horn works. If you can pass those 3 in texas you can drive.

Oklahoma on the other hand.....no inspection AT ALL! mwahahaha

stupid lagging internet. Well it looks like the reason why the computer isn't reading the ECU is because the ECU is OBD1. Looked up some info on the ECU number and it seems like its a 94 LS OBD1 ECU. Would having a OBD1 ECU cause the smog tech's scanner not be able to communicate with the ECU?

seems to me you have a obd2 car with a obd1 brain.... you'll have to find out what obd2 ecu you can run and get it.

yes. definitely.

you got lucky. CA bar usually picks up shit like obd1 ecu in an obd2 car. That is a GIANT no no on your bar inspection and should have gotten you failed. Definitely need an OBD2 ecu to pass smog because their tool has to register with ecu in anything > 96.

Isnt it actually illegal to run a obd1 ecu in a obd2 car? like get arrested?

yes. definitely.

you got lucky. CA bar usually picks up shit like obd1 ecu in an obd2 car. That is a GIANT no no on your bar inspection and should have gotten you failed. Definitely need an OBD2 ecu to pass smog because their tool has to register with ecu in anything > 96.

i didnt get the car bar'd, im pretty sure the owner who got it bar'd had the right stuff in it. But now i know my problem and i'll just get it fixed. thanks for the replies.

You will need an obd-2b ECU for a direct plug in. If you get a GSR ecu it has an immobilizer in it so you wont be able to start your car unless you remove the immobilizer. But if it gets removed you get a check engine light. SO the easiest way for it to pass correctly is get an ECU from a 99-00 Si.

You will need an obd-2b ECU for a direct plug in. If you get a GSR ecu it has an immobilizer in it so you wont be able to start your car unless you remove the immobilizer. But if it gets removed you get a check engine light. SO the easiest way for it to pass correctly is get an ECU from a 99-00 Si.

would the 99-00 si ecu run lean? i want to get it right the first time.

i plan on getting the obd2b gsr ecu with the immo removed and replaced by katman

that should fix you right up.. if you still have high HC readings check the voltage on your o2.. if its ok, you need a new cat

Back