CA Failed smog test with BAR'd 2000 GSR swap Civic 2000

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

buttman will add more power...

would the 99-00 si ecu run lean? i want to get it right the first time.
no it wont

you need an obd2b p72 w/ the immobilizer removed..
yea i have a obd2 p72 running my gsr swap, and the immobilizer is removed, it just turns the check engine light on. Unless you get a "fake immobilizer" installed in its place. I dont know how to do that and i cannot get a hold of Katman. So an Si ecu works to pass MA law emissions.

Listen to him.

Yea cuz i obviously dont know what im talking about, seeing as i have a 99 civic with a 2001 GSR swap that passes emissions... :rolleyes:

no it wont

yea i have a obd2 p72 running my gsr swap, and the immobilizer is removed, it just turns the check engine light on. Unless you get a "fake immobilizer" installed in its place. I dont know how to do that and i cannot get a hold of Katman. So an Si ecu works to pass MA law emissions.

Yea cuz i obviously dont know what im talking about, seeing as i have a 99 civic with a 2001 GSR swap that passes emissions... :rolleyes:

You obviously dont know what your talking about. You think a fuel map for a 1.6 liter is going to be the same as the 1.8? Think of the horsepower difference between the two motors, take a wild guess as to which one will require more fuel to run safely/properly. You could use the si ecu to pass emissions, but it would run very lean when you drive the car hard. Using the si ecu is a stupid idea all together. Get the correct p72 ecu like everyone who knows what they are talking about has stated already.

Yea cuz i obviously dont know what im talking about, seeing as i have a 99 civic with a 2001 GSR swap that passes emissions... :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yeah im sure you had no problem getting it to pass emissions. Since your car is fuel starved, im sure it runs pretty cleanly!

how bout you try it and come back. plenty of people run their cars on the wrong ecus just fine. it's likely that the the two engines are close enough that the same maps will run them just fine. maybe not at peak performance but well enough to get by. do i recommend doing it? no. could it work for what the OP needs? its pretty likely it will.

I would think the tables would overlap, and the o2 sensor should be able to get it about the same.

failed with high HC again with the SI ecu. I'm still running rich with the 1.6 ecu. But my NO (PPM) went down dramatically from 270 to 3(15mph) and 9 to 0(25mph).

Got CEL 45 Fuel system running too rich or lean. At least this means my O2 sensors are working right?

Just changed out the spark plugs, they had a little bit of white on the top. CEL went away for a little bit and occasionally comes back on.

I believe you need to drive it around until the ECU completes some drive cycles in order for it to learn to adjust the injector pulses (this is assuming you are running stock injectors and they are not malfunctioning). I suspect your catalytic converter is not functioning properly. I would focus on that, and also, get that big power cable away from the ECU wires.

Ok... I got cel 45 off after changing, Spark plugs, Spark Plug Wires, Dizzy cap, (Rotor screw got stripped ><), and a brand new o2 sensor. Now cel Code 1 is on.

brown liquid coming from my exhaust now.
208upnl.jpg

Ok... I got cel 45 off after changing, Spark plugs, Spark Plug Wires, Dizzy cap, (Rotor screw got stripped ><), and a brand new o2 sensor. Now cel Code 1 is on.

brown liquid coming from my exhaust now.
208upnl.jpg

My guess is the previous running condition of your engine (pig rich) caused soot to build up in the system. Now that it's running at the right A/F ratio, the normal water vapor from clean combustion is washing the crud out of the exhaust sytem.
Take it out on the highway for some high RPM rippers, it should clear out in a day or two. Although the fact that it's still giving the o2 sensor code is shushpishush...

alright, will it be safe to assume that the p75 ecu is not ignoring the o2 sensor and running the a/f ratio based on the reading of the o2 sensor?

The CEL just means the voltage went out of range, it could be dead, it might have just gotten temporarily clogged with soot. Pull the o2 sensor and have a look at it.

Back