Cali Speedway Street Legals 2005 Schedule

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Bl6CRX+Jun 10 2005, 01:10 AM-->
@Jun 9 2005, 11:05 PM
In all honesty he didint seem as slap happy as i was thinking he was going to be or should be. I think were all gonna just have to bump heads and see it at the track. Its hard for me to believe that and intake and a ca are holding you back that much.

Im gonna get my GSR dynoed and see what happens, we can ompare from there.
[post=510516]Quoted post[/post]​

I'd have to think about this/do a little research as far as those numbers go, but I have seen an intake change make 40 (thats right 40) whp before,--is the stock one on there?
[post=510549]Quoted post[/post]​

Theres no way theres gonna be anything close to a 40hp gain by changing from the GSR intake manifold to something like the skunk2 or anything else for that matter. Im not saying you have not seen a sittuation like that, but this one isint the case. That thing should be running like a stock GSR and then some.

I would say make sure theres no bottle necks in the exhaust system. And ask why he thinks the cat is some big restriction. I mean it is a restriction but not so much so as to be underpower like that. And as far as i know the trany shouldint have any effect on the hp numbers. It just seems like it should have been fast enough to make him say DAMN. And he didint.

I have a stock GSR airbox we can try on there or my cold air, just to see what happens.

I was just hoping for high 150 or even in the 160 range but it didn't make it there.
I think it was only a base map no tuning though so maybe with some tuning we can get it up there. After I pay everyone back that I owe money to from this I will see what I can do to get it a little bit closer to the 160 mark. Jeff sorry I am a DICK working straight for 2 weeks I just go home sit on my couch for a few minutes and then I wake up at like 2am or so I am such a lazy azz. Oh well I need the overtime to pay the parents back.

Yeah I know hes not gonna make 40whp by changing the intake manifold, that setup isn't nearly capable for that much hp. But, I was demonstrating the possible setbacks of restrictive bolt on components. Also, this was an intake, not manifold change.

Personally I don't think too much of anything is wrong or that those numbers are really low. I think they are right on the mark for that setup. I mean just cause its an ls vtec doesn't mean its a race car and gonna make 200whp I say over time get a nice header, get a high flow cat/test pipe, get a skunk/type R manifold, get an intake, and tune it. I think you'll be happy with it for your daily driver, and if your not, you've set yourself up for a serious build.

Here, check these out.

Stock LS

GSR Bolt ons

Stock LS/Vtec

Oh by the way he rigged the LS AEM V2 intake to fit so I have the V2 hooked up.
I am pretty sure it was just a base map as well I don't think there was any tuning especially with the cam gears so I will call him to see if it was a base map or what.
I will probably go Skunk2 IM but I am not too sure about a high flow cat or something like that can you guys reccomend something Mike or Jeff?????????

If the cat you have on there matches your piping id just leave it, if it is much smaller, then Id get something new, i've never looked into high flow cats, but people seem to recommend the carsound ones often.

Originally posted by integraslut78@Jun 10 2005, 11:10 AM
Oh by the way he rigged the LS AEM V2 intake to fit so I have the V2 hooked up.
I am pretty sure it was just a base map as well I don't think there was any tuning especially with the cam gears so I will call him to see if it was a base map or what.
I will probably go Skunk2 IM but I am not too sure about a high flow cat or something like that can you guys reccomend something Mike or Jeff?????????
[post=510720]Quoted post[/post]​

I know alot of people use the carsound cat, i still run the stock cat and am confident that its not holding me back that much. Basicly for the split of a hp gain from a cat change i would wrather spend that 100+ some where else.

And yeah i figured you ment intake mike, seeing as how i said intake meaning intake manifold. And yeah 150hp isint bad but i was expecting upwards of 150.

No one said anything about a race engine, if anything lsV is far from with out the oil squirters. Even though alot fo people still yank them, i like the idea of turning high rpm for long periods of time with them still squirting.....if ya know what i mean. The longevty of an LSvtec winding 8k rpm around a road ccoarse for 10 laps will be less then that of a GSR. So if any thing the stock GSR setup is more race inspired then an LSvtec, granted th e way i see it an LS vtec setup ina sock form should yield more power then a GSR.

let me get this right...

are saying a stock ls/vtec will have more power than a stock B18c1?

that sounds a bit odd to me. a stock b18c1 (usdm) should be at around 170bhp, right? not 150bhp.

sorry, i'm just confused by that statement.

Aren't the stock GSRs 170 to the crank or are they 180?
I just thought it would have been higher but I am just glad to be driving the
SloTeg rather than the TAURASS :lol: hahahahahahaaa

Originally posted by integraslut78@Jun 10 2005, 03:08 PM
SloTeg rather than the TAURASS :lol: hahahahahahaaa
[post=510877]Quoted post[/post]​

if i'm not mistaken, the 94-97 b18c1 (usdm) puts 170bhp, and the (jdm) b18c is 180bhp.

Originally posted by 92dxhatch+Jun 10 2005, 04:30 PM-->
integraslut78
@Jun 10 2005, 03:08 PM
SloTeg rather than the TAURASS  :lol:    hahahahahahaaa
[post=510877]Quoted post[/post]​

if i'm not mistaken, the 94-97 b18c1 (usdm) puts 170bhp, and the (jdm) b18c is 180bhp.
[post=510887]Quoted post[/post]​

To the crank, theres ABOUT a 20% drivetrain loss so yes 170 at the crank. But see an lsvtec build should have higher compression by just a lil, thus showing a slightly higher hp number over a stock GSR.

All i gota say is if at the next track meet your not some what faster, or at least slower your leting me drive it.

Jeff I checked c-speed racings website and did the compression calculator doing the LS/VTEC it bumped up my compression from 9.2 to 9.7. Seriously if that's the case you are driving my car. I would like to get 1 more track day in before the end of the season.

After some further reading it seems you may have needed to bump compression some more. Not like the other build where you just didint have enough but just some more would have been the kicker. Im looking and if that calculators right then yeah. GSR's are pushin a 10.3 to 1 ratio, witch is signifcantly higher.

Heres what i think would be cool. Go buy another ls block in good shap for like 250 from a yard. Rebuild it with the highcompresion pistons and all new parts then let it sit in your house as an end table till you need it.

LOL Jeff you don't have to get all upset/defensive, don't think im attacking or critising you, im just stating my opinion on the setups numbers :).

But I do have one question, why do you think an LS vtec should make more power than a GSR?

John, no matter what setup your running, your gonna need these bolt ons. The problem is just going to get worse if you do internal mods with out them. My two cents stands as follows. Get your ass out of debt, (pay Jeff for giving you head), get the bolt-ons, then worry about internals.

Originally posted by Bl6CRX@Jun 11 2005, 10:54 AM
LOL Jeff you don't have to get all upset/defensive, don't think im attacking or critising you, im just stating my opinion on the setups numbers :).

But I do have one question, why do you think an LS vtec should make more power than a GSR?

John, no matter what setup your running, your gonna need these bolt ons. The problem is just going to get worse if you do internal mods with out them. My two cents stands as follows. Get your ass out of debt, (pay Jeff for giving you head), get the bolt-ons, then worry about internals.
[post=511145]Quoted post[/post]​

Mike which internals would you be referring to? Are you referring to the IM and CTR cams or what would you be referring to? But yes I do need to get out of debt FIRST.

LOL naw mike its all good were just talkin......

But yeah i was under the impression that a stocl LS Vtec build would yeaild more compression, after some readin im wrong i see. It was just so common for people to replace the pistons when doing this i guess that i was over looking that part of the build. Its been a while since i whent over all the LSVtec stuff.

Originally posted by UDT@Jun 11 2005, 02:09 PM
LOL naw mike its all good were just talkin......

It was just so common for people to replace the pistons when doing this i guess that i was over looking that part of the build.
[post=511186]Quoted post[/post]​

very true, ls blocks are just so damn cheap, its a great way to build a motor over time like you talked about

Originally posted by integraslut78+Jun 11 2005, 11:14 AM-->
@Jun 11 2005, 10:54 AM

John, no matter what setup your running, your gonna need these bolt ons.  The problem is just going to get worse if you do internal mods with out them.  My two cents stands as follows.  Get your ass out of debt, (pay Jeff for giving you head), get the bolt-ons, then worry about internals.
[post=511145]Quoted post[/post]​

Mike which internals would you be referring to? Are you referring to the IM and CTR cams or what would you be referring to? But yes I do need to get out of debt FIRST.
[post=511149]Quoted post[/post]​

Yo Mike???

Originally posted by integraslut78@Jun 12 2005, 12:38 AM

Yo Mike???
[post=511316]Quoted post[/post]​

Lol, sorry hahaha missed that.

By internals I mean cams pistons and what go alonge with them (ie rods, valve-train etc.) I consider IM to be a bolt on.

Also, If you want your car to run faster times, the tranny is also going to be of importance.

I think I might put that at, or at least near, the top of the list.

Also, If you want your car to run faster times, the tranny is also going to be of importance.

I think I might put that at, or at least near, the top of the list

Im gonna have to say w0rd.......to his moMa

LOL naw just playin, but yeah thats kinda why i was telling you befor. Its a very different angle to cover then building the motor when it comes to you trying to go fast. I just thought since you had bad luck with the cams maybe a trany is a good way of still building but not having to really DIG in to anything that problematic. But then you whent and bent valves like a jack.

Ass anyways your a douche bag too jonathan........... lol I just read that quote again in mike sig............lol what a douche :lol:

Originally posted by UDT@Jun 12 2005, 01:47 AM

Ass anyways your a douche bag too jonathan........... lol I just read that quote again in mike sig............lol what a douche :lol:
[post=511322]Quoted post[/post]​

:lol:!!!!!!!

We got some late night posting tonight, im so fakin awake, me and lilly crashed at her friends house after a party last night, so i didn't get much sleep, but today we slept from like 3pm-8:30pm--im turining nocturnal i guess.

Back