Camshaft ID question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

clanny

I have bought an imported b16b and took the cover off to install skunk2 cam gears and a new timing belt. When I was in there I noticed that the springs and retainers all appear to be titanium.

This got me thinking. Surely no-one would go to the trouble of replacing them without replacing the cams too? Now what I'm wondering is, is there any easy way of identifying what cams are in there?

I guess, at the end of the road, it won't make a lot of difference when it comes to tuning it because it'll still be a case of dialling them in but it will make a difference if I ever want to skim the head or increase compression. Or want to sell sometime in the future.

Thanks for reading.

Well, they mod in Japan too, so there's a good chance that the cams are aftermarket.

As far as identifing them, well, you'd have to get with some manufacturers, or search the net for a collection of markings.

What makes you think that the retainers are titanium? If the cams are stock they will have one ring "engraved" on the end of the cam a little less than an inch down. Or its two rings depending on the year, I think.

Pic

or look at the top of the forum at itr cam fraud for pics

Ok, an update. Firstly, thanks for the shortcut - very helpful (would be even better if the pictures were a little lighter but good just the same).

I checked on my cams the inlet has the letter K cast into it and the exhaust has the letter L. This differs from that thread so I saw wondering. I called up my mate who has just bought a set of b16b cams and his said B and D.

I started sweating in case I had been done and had a set of b16a cams in there or something, so, off with the dizzy and the cam covers and holder and saw that the cam has the two grooves at the end. Whew, sweat over. Looks like it's all stock b16b cams after all.

The reason that I reckon the springs are titanium is because they look like titanium. I'm fairly good with my metals because I deal with stuff like that at my work but without taking them out and inspecting them I can't be sure(and I don't want to take them out). The exhaust ones have blue paint on them and the inlet ones have yellow. Does anyone recongnise this colour scheme? Is it honda standard?

Anyway, thanks for your help guys. :worthy: :D

Originally posted by clanny@Mar 19 2005, 04:20 PM
The exhaust ones have blue paint on them and the inlet ones have yellow. Does anyone recongnise this colour scheme? Is it honda standard?

Anyway, thanks for your help guys. :worthy: :D
[post=475772]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes, those are OEM Type-R valve springs.

OK that's cleared all that up for me. Cheers for the replies guys. I guess the titanium colour is down to the surface texture of the metal of the springs.

Back