Can I Put A B20b Motor Into A 5th Gen Hb?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

please look over the site...i just posted this article which should answer your question. and a b20 runs great in 5th gen civics with a gsr, type r, civic si transmission.

Overview:

In 1997, Honda began offering the CRV as part of its new model line. While most of us weren’t interested in this vehicle, those interested in building the ultimate hybrid were delighted when they found a B-series motor under the hood. While there are some adjustments and changes that need to be made, this motor comes rated with around 140 torque and 140 horsepower making it a very viable candidate for swap.

Here is what you’ll need:

1.ECU: P75(B18B)

2. B-series throttle cable specific to motor, B17A and B16A throttle cables will both

work, -B18C throttle cables are different due to the GSR intake manifold

3. LS Intake Manifold (CRV Manifold is designed like a Waterfall, too tall for Civics)

3. B-series engine mounts (more on this below)

4. Integra Shift linkage/ 99-00 Civic Si Shift Linkage (del Sol shift linkage is about an

inch too long, needs to be cut and rewelded to be made to fit, NOT

RECOMMENDED!!)

5. VTEC wires (This will include wires, and possibly plugs if your motor is lacking an

engine harness)

6. B-series Axles

7. B-series Transmission (S80, S4C, Y21 or a cable transmission, if this motor is going

into a 4th Gen)

The Swap:

As is the case with all B-series swaps, you’ll be ready to go after you’ve located a B-series transmission and B-series axles. Remember, the CRV transmission is designed to utilize an all wheel drive setup, which is just not going to work in our front wheel drive civics.

Motor Mounts:

As far as mounts are concerned, the rear mount and transmission side mounts are the same in 1994-2000 Integra’s and in 1994-1997 del Sol’s. However, the driver’s side mount bracket is sometimes different between these motors so it’s easiest to use the mount that comes with the motor. A B-series transmission mount will also be needed, and its recommended that you get this mount when locating the transmission.

Wiring:

The wiring depends on the model and year of your 5th Gen. If the motor is a B20B then I recommend using the wiring harness from the car the motor is going in, or a LS wiring harness which will plug right in.

Conclusion:

When finished with this swap, you’ll be very happy with its torque and low end power band. I’ve personally seen several mid to low 14-second fifth generation hybrids over the last few years and for auto-crossing this motor would do very well. The key is finding the right transmission, ideally from a GSR, so that acceleration is maximized. Now of course, with each application the transmission may vary.

i'm wrong...sorry guys, i will edit the above information.

Back