Can you smog a JDM B16A2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
a dumb question but one nonetheless....

in cali. it is impossible to get a jdm b16a2 smogged is it not?

legally of course.

Originally posted by karnash@Mar 3 2003, 04:09 AM
a dumb question but one nonetheless....

in cali. it is impossible to get a jdm b16a2 smogged is it not?

legally of course.

According to what I have read here and other places,yes,but there seems to be a few people posting about new laws.I haven't seen anything though.

You can get the b16a2 here in the states. I dont see where they would even know its JDM unless they looked for VIN on the motor.

My understanding is that in order to smog an engine in Cali (JDM, EDM, USDM, whatever) it has to be the same year or newer as the chassis it is in, and it has to have all the appropriate emissions equipment for that year chassis present and functional. As long as you meet those criteria you are okay.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Mar 2 2003, 10:33 PM
My understanding is that in order to smog an engine in Cali (JDM, EDM, USDM, whatever) it has to be the same year or newer as the chassis it is in, and it has to have all the appropriate emissions equipment for that year chassis present and functional. As long as you meet those criteria you are okay.

yes, but do jdm b16's come with applicable smog devices standard?

ok again, the reason why i ask is that i found a shop, that will do the whole thing for 2800 in 3-4 days.
when i asked the owner if it would absolutely pass smog, he was kind of iffy, but said yes nonetheless.....
i dont want to be stuck with the proverbial pig-in-a-poke and have to run my ass off in south central l.a. trying
to find one of the homies to hook me up with illegal smog for X amount of dollars.....

he said that most of his b16a engines he carried were JDM, and he comes across usdm b16a2's once in a while.
as a legal student....im thinking of writing up a contract stating the terms of the sale and including
a "must pass smog" clause providing the engine is usdm and has all applicable smog devices, i would assume
risk if any smog devices should fail....

lol i dont know if that would be too cool......

any suggestions?

Most of the b16a's he carry are jdm b/c the b16a sir 1 and b16a sir 2 were only in Japan. If he said he only gets b16a2 USDM's occasionally, then he is trying to stick a motor older then your car into it. That wont pass inspections and is illegal in Cali.

Make sure the motor is b16a2. It will say a2 on it. JDM i think just says b16 or b16a and a number under it. also, JDM motors wont have a VIN plate.

The B16A I bought to gut for my LSVTEC came with everything to make it smog legal in Cali in an 1990 or older chassis(the engine came from a 1990 Integra XSi). You will probably have to reuse you charcoal canister, etc. But I think any swap you buy from a reputable vendor should come with everything that should be attachted to the engine. The contract is probably a good fall back as long as you are willing to follow through on the implied threat. If this shop is unwilling to make that garauntee, offer to buy the engine yourself and bring it to the shop with your car that way you an verify that everything you need to make it smog legal is present.

OBD1 - Non OBD(1995 and prior) cars do not need any specific year motor to be legal in california, as long as the US emissions equipment is used with the motor it is legal, however in the future it may not be, my freind is a smog tech and he told me california is looking to make all JDM engines non smog legal. Right now all OBD2 Cars (1996 and Up) need to have the same year or newer motor in them to be smog legal, so if u have a 97 car then u need a 97 up motor to be legal. As far as a B16A2 that is a USDM motor only in japan they were all B16A the only way to tell is to look at the stamp on the head and the serial number on the block to see what gen motor it is, 1st Gen B16a will say B16A on the block with 1xxxxxx for serial number, and on the head will have a stamp that says PR-3, 2nd Gen B16A will say B16A on the block with 5xxxxxx for serial number, and on the head will have a stamp that says P30, 3rd Gen B16A will say B16A on the block i am not sure what serial numbers these gen motors start with but they should have a stamp on the head that says P2T, im not 100% sure but i believe this is what the 3rd gens say, ill get back to u on that at a later time. Anyway hope this helps you.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Mar 2 2003, 10:45 PM
The B16A I bought to gut for my LSVTEC came with everything to make it smog legal in Cali in an 1990 or older chassis(the engine came from a 1990 Integra XSi). You will probably have to reuse you charcoal canister, etc. But I think any swap you buy from a reputable vendor should come with everything that should be attachted to the engine. The contract is probably a good fall back as long as you are willing to follow through on the implied threat. If this shop is unwilling to make that garauntee, offer to buy the engine yourself and bring it to the shop with your car that way you an verify that everything you need to make it smog legal is present.

i agree with you ls/vtec.....

i would have no problem taking his ass to small claims....

and honestly, i have been lied to before by "performance shops"

and as the old adage goes...fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Originally posted by ksrcivic@Mar 3 2003, 05:04 AM
As far as a B16A2 that is a USDM motor only in japan they were all B16A the only way to tell is to look at the stamp on the head and the serial number on the block to see what gen motor it is, 1st Gen B16a will say B16A on the block with 1xxxxxx for serial number, and on the head will have a stamp that says PR-3, 2nd Gen B16A will say B16A on the block with 5xxxxxx for serial number, and on the head will have a stamp that says P30, 3rd Gen B16A will say B16A on the block i am not sure what serial numbers these gen motors start with but they should have a stamp on the head that says P2T, im not 100% sure but i believe this is what the 3rd gens say, ill get back to u on that at a later time. Anyway hope this helps you.

Us EDM people feel so left out :( A 92-95 VTi B16 has a B16A2 stamp on it,so it is possible,unlikely but possible,that some of these B16A2s people are talking about could have come from Europe.

i truely feel sorry for the shop owner when i stop by this week to check out his shop.....

i have a highly confrontational personality, and i hope he doesnt expect to weasel out of any

questions i have for him.

You should make sure he is trying to scam you before coming off as confrontational,as if he isn't it could affect the deal.

ahhhhhhh to be honest vtec, you do have a point. i had problems with the owner of a certain
race shop in so cali when i had my zc installed....
lets just call it, personality conflicts....poor customer service would be another euphanism.

and im sure thats why he took 3 weeks to complete the swap

It's never a bad thing to develop a friendship with someone that owns a shop. At the very least you can be sure that they won't hose you. I had a pretty good relationship with a guy in Denver. It cost me more to get parts form him, but he was always friendly, he never dicked me around, and he always got the parts that I needed quickly.

i guess so...

my family has not had good luck with mechanics for some reason....
not to mention ford cars, but that's another story
( i have NEVER driven a ford before, fyi)

oh well, as long as the engine is in decent condition and he does the wiring correctly, i think
i can handle any mechanical problems that may arise....

JDM engines wont have emissions boxes on them
my SR20DE didnt and it was a pain to make it legal .
if all you have to do is pass a tailpipe emissions test then i suggest you leave the engine the way it came and get a custom midpipe made with 2 or 3 cats and put that on when you go to get it tested. and it never hurts to throw in some octane booster.

Back