Can't find what is wrong!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

leonc

I installed a B16a Sir II into my 94 civic ex. About 3 weeks ago the tach started jumping but no performance change. I would iratically jump when accelerating but woulnt jump under no acceleration or at WOT. This was going on for about a week. Then the ECU started reading what the tach showed itstead what it was at in reality and i could feel little jumps. So when i would be at lets say 2500 and the tach was showing 6200, the ecu started thinking it was really at 6200 and changing the air/fuel ration for 6200 rmp (i think). That went on for a couple of days (i wasnt driving to much) and then one day it wouldnt start. I bought a new ignitor and coil and installed it but it still wouldnt start. I checked for spark and I would get a initial spark (when you turned the key) but none after when cranking the motor to start.

So I got another distributor (b18c1). I put the new ignitor and coil in that distributor and it started working again (saturday). Now it is tuesday and the tach started jumping again and the ecu is thinking it is the rpm that the tach shows. I can feel little jumps befcause the ecu is being tricked.

I dont know where to go from here. I have followed everyones advice so far. Does any one have any more suggestions? Is there some relation between the throttle and the distributor that could be getting voltage spike when I press the gas to accelerate? Or should I just take it into a car electronics shop?

I appreciate all of the prior help and for future help.

Leon

I really dont know anyone that has a B16a SIR II in there civic, so swapping ecus is kinda out of the question. I live in a small town.

are you putting the spark plug wires in the right order.....also check the ecu for a code

Right now it is drivable but the tach is jumping and the ECU is getting the wrong reading. So the plugs are in the right order.

The ECU isn't throwing any codes.

timing?????wiring?????ecu is fried?????vaccum???????

Well it was running really good when I got when i got the motor in. And then it was running really good when I put the second distributor in. I know it is in time and I know the wiring is good. Maybe it is the ECU.

But that really doesn't make sense becuase it stop running, then I put distributor in it, then it ran perfect and then 4 days later the tach started jumping again.

I have time and time again. Everything is installed right. I even had a performance shop look over the swap before the tach started jumping the first time.

Originally posted by leonc@Sep 14 2005, 07:52 AM
Any one have a suggestion?
[post=554209]Quoted post[/post]​

Does it happen whe you accelarate? The Dizzy Hmotors sent me on my old B16 had a burnt out igniter. . . MSRP $200 from a honda dealer.

Originally posted by Cashizslick+Sep 14 2005, 12:03 PM-->
@Sep 14 2005, 07:52 AM

Does it happen whe you accelarate? The Dizzy Hmotors sent me on my old B16 had a burnt out igniter. . . MSRP $200 from a honda dealer.
[post=554413]Quoted post[/post]​

He already replaced the dizzy he said that in his first post. Sorry leonc I really thought it was your dizzy mang it's weird that it was ok for 4 days and then went back to doing it. Sorry I am stumped. :(

Is all good, I'm glad that there are people like you that try and help.

I am stumped also. I have bought an ignitor ($120), coil ($95), and another distributor ($100). Thats $315. and my car is still running shitty.

I dont know what to do.

Originally posted by integraslut78+Sep 14 2005, 02:15 PM-->
Originally posted by Cashizslick@Sep 14 2005, 12:03 PM
leonc
@Sep 14 2005, 07:52 AM

[post=554413]Quoted post[/post]​

He already replaced the dizzy he said that in his first post. Sorry leonc I really thought it was your dizzy mang it's weird that it was ok for 4 days and then went back to doing it. Sorry I am stumped. :(
[post=554419]Quoted post[/post]​

Me = :owned:

Anyways. The only time i can remember having my tach bounce around like that was about 4 years ago. For some reason, my old civic sucked a piece of carbon into the intake manifold skrewing up the map sensor. Guess the car was never really driven hard before i got my hands on it. . . . . but your problem seems like an ECU issue. I would try running your ECU in somebody else's car as already suguessted by ReckedRacing.

Back