Can't seperate tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DwnShftPrincess

I got the seal of the tranny broken but the damn thing won't seperate. Someone PLEASE help

P.S. I've been "wiggling and shimmying" for 45 minutes. <_<

Originally posted by DwnShftPrincess@Aug 8 2005, 07:30 PM
I got the seal of the tranny broken but the damn thing won't seperate. Someone PLEASE help

P.S. I've been "wiggling and shimmying" for 45 minutes. <_<
[post=537624]Quoted post[/post]​

Triple check that you got all of the bolts off. Don't forget the starter bolts, and the flywheel dust cover from the bottom. Then put a big screw driver or a small pry bar on each side and pry it apart.

Hey guys, i've been working on this thing for a while. Everything is loose. No bolts or anything. It's sliding off a little but it won't budge much. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Do the gears have anything to do with the stiffness?
It seems that the gears aren't coming off with it. I will be posting a pic of what i am talking about

Originally posted by DwnShftPrincess@Aug 17 2005, 05:38 PM
Hey guys, i've been working on this thing for a while. Everything is loose. No bolts or anything. It's sliding off a little but it won't budge much. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
It seems that the gears aren't coming off with it. I will be posting a pic of what i am talking about
[post=541471]Quoted post[/post]​

you are trying to separate the 2 halves of the transmission case - correct? look at the back end of the case (end opposite where it bolts to engine) - you will see a round 28mm diameter plug with a square hole in the center - put a 3/8" ratchet into the square hole and remove the plug - looking down in the hole, you will see a snap ring that fits around a groove in the countershaft bearing and into a groove in the case - using a large needle nose pliers between the 2 tabs on the snap ring, spread the snap ring as far as you can until it comes out of the groove in the bearing and pull up on the case - the snap ring will stay in the case

Originally posted by jlicrx+Aug 17 2005, 11:12 PM-->
DwnShftPrincess
@Aug 17 2005, 05:38 PM
[post=541471]Quoted post[/post]​

you are trying to separate the 2 halves of the transmission case - correct? look at the back end of the case (end opposite where it bolts to engine) - you will see a round 28mm diameter plug with a square hole in the center - put a 3/8" ratchet into the square hole and remove the plug - looking down in the hole, you will see a snap ring that fits around a groove in the countershaft bearing and into a groove in the case - using a large needle nose pliers between the 2 tabs on the snap ring, spread the snap ring as far as you can until it comes out of the groove in the bearing and pull up on the case - the snap ring will stay in the case
[post=541562]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm not sure I know what you are talking about. Is it the tranny drain plug? What's been happening lately is that we've been trying to pull it apart, however, it moves little to none. It feels like it's stuck and something is holding it. It has seperated about 1 inch all the way around. There are no bolts or anything holding it. From looking at pics and reading up on DIY's this is not normal. If I look between the seperation I see little metal rods (dowel like), about 3 or more, that are holding between the two parts of transmission. Not the shorter outer rods around the seal that are 3/4 inch long (those are all out). These are longer inner rods. I can see and feel the flywheel but I can't break the damn thing apart from the rods. Not sure what to do. Sorry no pics i have to get batteries. Any input is WONDERFUL!!!!

go up two posts, read, look and re try.
When i took my D tranny apart, it wouldnt come loose and i put a 5 foot piece of reebar in there and tried.
It is what he said, there is a goldish/black/oily/silver colored almost plug looking thing.
There is room for about 1/2 inch of a rachet's extension to fit in there.
Then follow his other steps.

looks like this:

wMTAzNzU1MTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

:D I FINALLY GOT IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
I'm relieved. Thanks to everypne for their input. I'll bake everyone a pie. Just let me know what flavor ;)

Now, my new dilemma. The clutch is COMPLETELY busted along with the flywheel. A spring is out and a part of the disc is broken off. The flywheel is completely jagged with grooves. I took the casing off of the tranny to check the gears. When the housing came off two small silver balls (bearings i guess) fell out. Unfortunately, I don't know where they came from. Haynes Manual is NO help!!!

Originally posted by DwnShftPrincess@Aug 21 2005, 03:29 PM
:D I FINALLY GOT IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
I'm relieved. Thanks to everypne for their input. I'll bake everyone a pie. Just let me know what flavor ;)

Now, my new dilemma. The clutch is COMPLETELY busted along with the flywheel. A spring is out and a part of the disc is broken off. The flywheel is completely jagged with grooves. I took the casing off of the tranny to check the gears. When the housing came off two small silver balls (bearings i guess) fell out. Unfortunately, I don't know where they came from.  Haynes Manual is NO help!!!
[post=543192]Quoted post[/post]​

the little balls are probably the shift detent balls

Please enlighten me... where do they go and what do they do? Can I leave them out? :worthy:

Also, you ROCK!!! :thumbsup:

Back