car overheating, white smoke, and burning coolant

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i've got a straight 2" exhaust goin all the way back to my muffler which is a cheap apc one...that was on the car when i bought it...overall i have probably run it for about...5 minutes tops...oh yeah and i dont have a cat or anything...just straight pipe..sooo idk maybe i'll just leave it parked for a few days and crank it everday and see if it gets any better...and its not just like a little puff of smoke it is a pretty good bit of smoke or steam or w/e it is...i'm just praying i dont have to get a new head

its not looking good, i had it runnin for a few yesterday, and i look at the resovoir that goes to my radiator and it looked like it was either sucking in water or having air blown back into it, it was bubbling...when i tried to give it gas it almost dies down....i have to slowly give it gas to get it to revv at all...anything else u guys think it could be?

Originally posted by arroshiz@Jan 6 2005, 07:50 AM
its not looking good, i had it runnin for a few yesterday, and i look at the resovoir that goes to my radiator and it looked like it was either sucking in water or having air blown back into it, it was bubbling...when i tried to give it gas it almost dies down....i have to slowly give it gas to get it to revv at all...anything else u guys think it could be?
[post=441931]Quoted post[/post]​

If you have bubbles coming from the cooling system, and it is already properly bled then you didn't install the gasket right or there is a crack in the block or head.

this sucks ass....yeah its gotta be cracked somewhere...its burning the water out pretty dang quick...how can i tell if the crack is in the block or the head...is it possible i have a warped head? i looked my head over, no visible cracks, idk if its supposed to be anything visible tho...

You can use a feeler gauge and a straight edge to check the head and block for flatness, just do it length-wise, width-wise, and at a 45* angle to that. Sounds to me like a cracked sleeve though.....when you take it apart look very very carefully around the tops of the sleeves, chances are you will find a crack.

Back