car problems can't figure it out?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ignorant import guy

ok so yesterdy my car sarted to give me problems...the speedometer stopped working, the auto trans is shifting rough, and the check engine light is on...now i have 2 theories why it could be doing this...first it was raining like hell yesterday and i went through a deep puddle which caused my belts to slip and stall my car, i waited for them to dry, then everything worked fine till later in the night...other theory i hooked up a set of oil temp and pressure gauges to the little lights that come on when you turn your lights on, on top of the cluster in order for the oil gauges to light up....do either of these seem like the root of the problem...i'm going to get it checked out in a day or 2 when i get time...just wondering if it's something simple to fix

my guess is when you drove thru that puddle you got water in the cylinders and the only belts tthat would get wet is the alt., p/s, and a/c

see the thing is though the car will be fine cold when i first get started but it seems like if it gets hot or have been running for a while the engine light will then come on and then the speedometer will jump around then not work until vtec will kick in and that's only when i really run it...and those were the only things that didn't work when my car got wet...the p/s, a/c, and then it stalled

Ok, first off check what codes you are getting, Im going to assume it's VSS (vehicle speed sensor) since your car is an automatic it utilizes the VSS for some of the transmission functions, including shifting. If the speedo is jumping all around then that is where you should start, check the connector on the VSS, I don;t know what car/engine you have, so I can't tell you where the sensor is, but it is usually near the rear of the tranny, on top, you can usually see them if you look directoy below your throttle body down on the tranny.
Check that out after you figure out what codes you are getting.
check and clean out the connector for the vss

now throw another twist at you the car works fine now...no engine light and no speedo problems...is it possible the water in the speed sensor was maybe just in there causing codes to be thrown and then got steamed off??? well anyways i'm getting the timing belt changed anyways this week i'll ask the guy the see if he can what was or is wrong

it is possible that if there was water in there it is gone now, like you said, steamed off or just evaporated.
Stay away from those big puddles, they are bad for your car no matter what.

Back