Car will not go into 2nd & 5th.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

NickQ

Car: 95 civic cx
Motor: 95 B18c
Tranny: 01 ITR (hydraulic)
Clutch: ACT street disc w/ xtreme pp

The car will not go into 2nd or 4th gear 9 times out of 10. Sometimes it will go in, and it feels normal, but most of the time it just feels like there is a wall blocking it from going in. It does not grind, no funny noises. IT just wont go in. 1st, 3rd, 5th, and R are perfect. Can anyone please help, this is my daily driver, and the faster I can get this fixed the better. Thank you!!

I have searched for this problem here, and didn't find an awnser

check your linkage, hydraulics, and shifter. after the minor issues, check the tranny. did you know the ITR tranny was ligit in condition, or out of shit and bought it?

Originally posted by B18C_NA@Feb 23 2004, 02:56 PM
check your linkage, hydraulics, and shifter. after the minor issues, check the tranny. did you know the ITR tranny was ligit in condition, or out of shit and bought it?

I bought tha car from a good friend. The tranny as far as we knew is in good shape except for the 3rd gear synchros are going out. Under high RPMs it grinds a little going into 3rd. But Whatever is going on now, is not affecting 3rd. It's weird.

:(

Are you sure that there isn't anything physically blocking the shift linkages from moving, outside/on top of the tranny? I once had the vacuum canister for the secondaries get lodged in there, and blocked one of the shift linkages from moving....

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Feb 23 2004, 04:06 PM
Are you sure that there isn't anything physically blocking the shift linkages from moving, outside/on top of the tranny? I once had the vacuum canister for the secondaries get lodged in there, and blocked one of the shift linkages from moving....

I dunno. I have not even looked at it yet. It started last night. I am going to check it out in about an hour.

Just thought I'd ask before, so I would know what to look for.

I'll check that one out

Thnaks

I once had the vacuum canister for the secondaries get lodged in there, and blocked one of the shift linkages from moving....

LOL maybe next time you should have the vacuum box bolted to the underside of the IM where its sposed to be

Originally posted by H22AdelSol@Feb 23 2004, 04:08 PM
I once had the vacuum canister for the secondaries get lodged in there, and blocked one of the shift linkages from moving....

LOL maybe next time you should have the vacuum box bolted to the underside of the IM where its sposed to be

It didn't have any sort of mounting spots on the canister, and I was too lazy to fashion something to hold it in place, so I just tucked it into the maze of vacuum lines in the engine bay. It wasn't doing anything, since I bypassed it and just ran the vacuum line directly from the IAB to the manifold. I needed to keep it though, because of the sensor that needed to be plugged in.

There's a reason we had a "Ghetto Superstar" sticker on our garage wall at my old house. :D

most likely, its either the wrong shift linkage, or it was built upside down or something.

does the position of the shifter make it into the 2nd and 4th gates?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 24 2004, 02:24 AM
most likely, its either the wrong shift linkage, or it was built upside down or something.

does the position of the shifter make it into the 2nd and 4th gates?

Ok

I got under the car yesterday. I removed all of the shift linkage and shifter. I took everything apart, cleaned, oiled, inspected, and re-installed....

Did nothing.

So, I am guessing it is internal. :(

Any more ideas?

are you sure its the right linkage?

2nd and 5th are the furthest points- meaning if it was off, those would be the first 2 to get out of spec.

94+ integra shiftlinkage?

mounts in stock position?

will it go into 2nd and 5th with the car shut off?

if so i'd say bad synchro rings dude. had the same problem on a '99 civic lx and had to tear apart the tranny to find several bent and one broken. i forget the cost of parts but the labor was a learning experience (it took me a day but im a mechanic). if you could find a used tranny for under $200 i'd say go that route as tranny repair isnt for the feint of heart.

needless to say it ran great after the rings were replaced. :)

Originally posted by HellBentHONDA@Feb 25 2004, 02:27 PM
will it go into 2nd and 5th with the car shut off?

if so i'd say bad synchro rings dude. had the same problem on a '99 civic lx and had to tear apart the tranny to find several bent and one broken. i forget the cost of parts but the labor was a learning experience (it took me a day but im a mechanic). if you could find a used tranny for under $200 i'd say go that route as tranny repair isnt for the feint of heart.

needless to say it ran great after the rings were replaced. :)

Typo in the title. It won't go into 2nd and 4th. The two bottom gears. Sorry for the confusion.

Back