Centrifugical Supercharger Vs Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i am ignorant but yet i am trying to expain this to you huh?

btw, you talk about i have no imagination, i guess yours got the best of you.

Okay ive noticed how you completly ignored my question. Let me try this again. In which case will the air be cooled closer to ambient? or will they both be the same temp. I just need to hear you say it one more time so i can write off whatever you say as :bs:

300 degrees to "ambient" or
200 degrees to "ambient"??

Which one will easier for the 80 degree air to TRY cool to 80 degrees :huh:

Remember that TRY is the key word here as the intercooler cannot cool it to 80 degrees for the short period of time the air is in the intercooler.

i didnt realize you were acutally asking a question but rather trying to make the statement of an intercooler working hard.

the 200 degree intercooler would be closer to ambient, but not by a significant number to make a real difference. with an intercooler you can just eliminate manifold inlet temp factor and just put it as supercharger vs. turbo. seems like you would go centrifugal sc which has some advantages over turbo so then just go with centrifugal sc; its your car.

btw you should try working for Vortech b/c you are the biggest pro-centrifugal sc person ive seen.

Ok Thank You i hoped you'd admit that there is a difference although its probably bigger than you would care to say (say with a smaller/less effecient intercooler the difference would be compounded). I didnt mean to offend anyone but if i know im right i wont stop until i've proven that (ill stop now :lol: ).

Originally posted by JDMSpecAccordSir-T@May 24 2003, 02:21 PM
4)There has to be a reason why all NHRA Top Fuel Drag cars went SC over turbo. Maybe because a SC has more low rpm boost, produces less heat and is just generally more effecient than turbos.

Sorry to jump in late here, but this is a bogus point. Turbos are against NHRA rules. The reason they all run SCs is they have too.

Yeah i know about the rules. But what i meant to get across is why they didnt use turbos in the first place.

Actually they did start experimenting with turbos in the ealry 80's, they had problems with boost management and fuel delivery toasting thier engines so the NHRA made turbos illegal. IMO the NHRA decided that turbos would give teams with more techinal saavy a distinct power advantage over those teams that did not know or want to find out how to manage a turbo'd powerplant.

vortech

dood trust me i'm rebuilding my b16A2 vortech supercharged engine and there is no such thing as a bolt on kit my vortech kit was amazing when installed felt better than my friends h22turbo until it blew 3 pistons 1 melted the other 2 cracked, you need the whole thing the pressure riser or FMU sucks ass and is a bitch for tuning bcoz u only get very aproximate fueling, now i've bought Neptune RTP ecu je internals rods bearings etc, but there is only one question left ,do i need cylinder sleeves i'm not raising the boost over 12 psi ever so do i????? can any one factualy tell me plz, not just i think, or my friends.......

type R accords rule as na if you want a fast car to tune get a teggy or civic!)

to bring this thread back from the dead, a centrifugical supercharger wont spool all that much faster if not slower then a small turbo. Becuase you still have the spin the supercharger to a certain rpm. But your torque curve will be flatter becuse it just keeps increasing boost but it wont give you low RPM power like you think. The thing i cant stand about superchargers are that you have to lose power before you make power.

if it is belt driven then it will difinately produce boost as soon as you hit the gas. turbos have to wait for the engine exhaust to build. turbo lag. me and my son build honda's. we swap japanese engines in and get rid of the us engines.
We built a single cam with a single 50 m turbo. we built all the charge air pipeing and cooling pipeing. we put in bigger injectors 500 cc injectors. the charge air pipeing was 2 1/2". and the cooling pipeing was 3". what we found out was that the turbo spooled much faster with the larger pipe. the intercooler had 3" inlet and outlet ports. we took this same engine and put the jackson supercharger on it. and got nowhere near the same out of it. but the jackson was not a very good settup as far as i am concerned. me and my son are planning on takeing his jdm h22 and putting on a supercharger off of a v6 pontiac gtp. it will have to be settup like the whipple does. it is all about trying things to see what works and what doesn't. but that is what we do and love doing. what i have seen is that the single cam i believe it was a d15a something. my son does all the engine getting as he has people to get engines threw. nothing illegal we do not do business that way. but we did put up to 18pnds of boost on the stock bottom end and head and run it many times at the track and had no problem. this is my 1st post on this forum and i am glad to be here. i drive a 2004 pontiac gto that has been moddified. and we have built a couple of single cams that have kept up very well. and very inexpensive compared to my v8. as far as reliability i think that both are just about as good as the other. both take maintance, and the turbo is a little better efficient.

Back