charity backlash. habitat for humanity

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondasaurus

messed up.
habitat is charity, gets amateur volunteers to build homes. sells them for <60k$ to cover costs. this one habitat neighborhood was built on city dump, nobody told buyers/welfare home recipients.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article5439388.ece

RESIDENTS of a model housing estate bankrolled by Hollywood celebrities and hand-built by Jimmy Carter, the former US president, are complaining that it is falling apart.
Fairway Oaks was built on northern Florida wasteland by 10,000 volunteers, including Carter, in a record 17-day “blitz†organised by the charity Habitat for Humanity.
Eight years later it is better known for cockroaches, mildew and mysterious skin rashes.
A forthcoming legal battle over Fairway Oaks threatens the reputation of a charity envied for the calibre of its celebrity supporters, who range from Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt to Colin Firth, Christian Bale and Helena Bonham Carter.
The case could challenge the bedrock philosophy behind Habitat for Humanity, claiming that using volunteers, rather than professional builders, is causing as many problems as it solves.
April Charney, a lawyer representing many of the 85 homeowners in Fairway Oaks, said she had no problems taking on Habitat for Humanity, despite its status as a “darling of liberal social activistsâ€. She said the charity should have told people that part of the estate had been built on a rubbish dump.
One man pulled up his floorboards to find rubbish 5ft deep under his kitchen. Other complaints include cracking walls and rotting door frames that let in rats and ants. Many residents have complained of mildew and mysterious skin rashes.
One resident said her children were suffering from skin complaints. “The intentions are good, but when the politicians and big-shot stars have left we’re stuck with the consequences. This house looks pretty but inside it either stinks or sweats,†she said.
Judy Hall, the charity’s local development director, said recently that it had been dealing with about 30 complaints. She added that skilled work was carried out by professionals.
Some residents dismiss their neighbours’ worries. Diennal Fields, 51, said people did not know how to look after their homes: “It’s simple stuff: if there is mildew, don’t get a lawyer, get a bottle of bleach.â€

top gear donated a camaro but gave wrong date and someone was trying to sue them for 25g$. and this is a little after the CA good samaritan pull from car lawsuit. one day there will be no charity and no one will do anything for anyone.

The case could challenge the bedrock philosophy behind Habitat for Humanity, claiming that using volunteers, rather than professional builders, is causing as many problems as it solves.

I dont see how it matters rather the builders are volunteers or professional. Thats what inspections are for. So, if sub standard houses are passin inspection, the problem isnt the builders.

Im sorry to hear about all the problems with the houses on the landfill. Hopefully Habbitats for Humanity can get all this straightened out and carry on.

I agree that this is more of a sub standard inspection and the fact that these houses were finished in 17 days with very little time to sit. I also would look at the location of the development as well. It sounds like Habitat had no say in the location as it was driven by politics and celebrity status. Habitat as a whole has done many wonderful things and is a worth while charity.

For some ppl thats easier said than done.
i'm with b on this one.

i have little to no compassion for those who make no effort to improve their lives, then compain about how little they have.

if you are ready, willing, and able to...go get a job. if not, get government funding and live somewhere. people who choose to live in the gutter of the country have no right to complain. if it's that bad, go somewhere else.

edit: i don't own a house. but i also don't live for free. if you want to live in something decent, open up your wallet. i have to pay for where i live. i didn't get a "free" house.

this guy sums it up for all the fucktards out there. and he lives in the house next door.

Diennal Fields, 51, said people did not know how to look after their homes: “It’s simple stuff: if there is mildew, don’t get a lawyer, get a bottle of bleach.”

seriously their combination of greed, entitlement, and lack of gratitude is overwhelming.
some ppl have houses over dumps that paid market value. and 60k is average, some are paying much less, even in US.
in 3rd world, habitat for humanity places start at $800.

when someone gets something for free, odds are they will not care for it as if they would something they spent their own cash on.

i'm with b on this one.

i have little to no compassion for those who make no effort to improve their lives, then compain about how little they have.

if you are ready, willing, and able to...go get a job. if not, get government funding and live somewhere. people who choose to live in the gutter of the country have no right to complain. if it's that bad, go somewhere else.

edit: i don't own a house. but i also don't live for free. if you want to live in something decent, open up your wallet. i have to pay for where i live. i didn't get a "free" house.

I dont have compassion for ppl like that either, but not every person that lives in a "free" house is simply leaching. Granted, there are a lot that do. But, the ppl who truely need programs like this are usually the ppl who would give to the even less fortunate without a second thought.

Its easy for someone who lives in comfort to tell others to simply work harder.

Its easy for someone who lives in comfort to tell others to simply work harder.

and its easy for US who do work hard to give OUR money away so others can piss it away. want to live in great comfort like i do? get a better job, or invent the better mousetrap.

HFH should be shut down, along with welfare. for every one person who needs the system, four others abuse it. sorry, this is how i feel no matter what someones' situation is.

Im not sayin that some ppl dont abuse stuff like this. Im not sayin that it doesnt make me mad to see some ppl do that. But, Id rather help the ppl who need it than not help anyone. I work as hard as anyone for my money for the record. I also live very comfortably, but it wasnt always like that. That where my POV comes from.

if you have all 4 arms/legs, you can support yourself.

if you aren't supporting yourself, you're a leech.

end of story.

the homeless guy i see everyday supports himself. he has garbage bags of cans with him all the time. he works to eat. sure, he doesn't have a house... but he probably doesn't even want one. a lot of homeless guys don't. it's weird.

I'll help those who help themselves.

i'll donate to the guy playing guitar on the street. but i wont give to the asshole claiming to be a veteran and just sits there with an empty cup.

I'll help those who help themselves.

i'll donate to the guy playing guitar on the street. but i wont give to the asshole claiming to be a veteran and just sits there with an empty cup.

I think along those lines, more or less. Thats why I support Habbitats for Humanity. A lot of the volunteers are actually ppl who will live in those completed houses, or at least thats how it usta be. But, you know what, after theyre done with their house do they just say, "Ok, thanks!" No. They turn around and help build the rest of the houses. They have nothin to give but labor, so they do.

there was this homeless lady who used to have a decent govt job. one day she decided she didn't want to work anymore. so she lived in an alley and bus stop in arlington, va in a strip mall by the post office. ppl in the neighborhood help her out w/ food and clothes and visit w/ her.
she owns a digital camera which is beyond strange.
EDIT: saw this lady in CA w/ her 2 kids going thru trash for food and cans/bottles for recycling money. sad stuff.
more restaurants would give out their throw-out food but fear legal consequences.

Back