Cheaper Upgrades

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MPetro

Can someone help me out with some cheaper upgrades, with the stock 160 hp the prelude's quick, but of course it needs to be quicker, i have full ractive exhaust, from the header back with a high flow cat, a ractive intake, and i'm not really sure what else there is to do without getting into cams and camgears, i hear from some cam gears are important and from other they're not, also racing pulleys i hear are aight but i also hear they don't do anything, i'll go with aem anything along the lines of pulleys and cam gears, and can someone tell me what the fuel rail does and why you want to upgrade it?

I have AEM underdrive pulleys on mine and I love them. I have had absolutely no problem out of them and they seem to make the low end more torquey. Also, one of the best mods I have done to mine is change the flywheel. I have a Jackson Racing (made by Fidanza) ultralight aluminum flywheel and the thing revs soooooo quick and makes immediate power. It will make your car a whole lot quicker (or so it feels)

Peace, Theron

I don't know, I hear a lot of bad stuff about underdrive pulleys. I mean, some things under the hood are supposed to spin at a certain speed, and if you're messing with that, who knows what could happen? The risk just not worth it, in my opinion, for marginal power.

Cam gears will give you some power, and cams, will, too.

But to take full advantage you'll need some kind of fuel management.

All the "cheap" upgrades you can do will net you some power, but I think that the general sentiment of this board will be to save up money until you can get some real power adding mods.

Oh yeah and the fuel rail distributes fuel to your injectors. No need to upgrade that unless you've upgraded most of your fuel system and still running lean.

I'd advise you to stay away from underdrive pulleys.

An underdrive crank pulley is a bad idea since they won't have the harmonic balancer that Honda OEM pulleys do.

An underdrive alternator pulley is going to underdrive your whole electrical system. While this may not be an issue with a stock or near-stock car, as soon as you start needing that extra current for performance or a sound system, you'll be screwed.

I don't see why an underdrive power steering pulley would hurt you, but shit, you might gain a half a horsepower by underdriving it? Have you seen how small the pulley is? You could also just remove the whole power steering system from your car like I did.

My advice would be to maybe do a flywheel like 1991 did and to stay away from any other Ractive products, especially if you're shopping for a header.

Yes stay away from Ractive products form now on...no offense..just advice good thinking dohc accord...u might wanna check out skunk2.com for ur cams and cam gears....adn other stuff along those lines...and im pretty happy with my exhaust I bought from there..and did u say u already have an Intake? If u dont go with the AEM V2...of even the plain AEM intake..they work good..both off them that is. :ph34r:

Back