Check out this story!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
From one of the bike board guys =)

The following story is absolutely Swear to God true...I was there...I lived it.

Ok..its 1988. Im working the parts counter at a Toronto Honda/Yamaha dealer (when not fondling the RC30 we had in the showroom).

In walk a bnch of guys looking for a brake lever and a turn signal lens for what they're pretty sure is a Goldwing...or maybe a Silverwing. Theyre not too sure how many cylinders it has....They also seem to be trying not to break out laughing. At this point Im wondering if theyre stoned or something. They cant seem to focus on the task at hand and Im wondering whats so damn funny. Turns out they wanted to get the bike certified so they could get plates. Seems they didnt have the cash to have it towed..didnt know anybody with a truck. Plan A was apparently to push the bike the 12 or so km to the shop. The soon discovered that motorcycles are really heavy...This wasnt going to work. Plan B was to tow the bike behind the car, to the shop. This is where it gets interesting. The first attempt involved tying the rope to the forks and bars. This is what broke the brake lever and signal.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!!

Discovering that the bars and forks are needed for turning, they decide to have the owner hold the rope while they drive. This just yanked the rope from the guys hands though..and he couldnt steer. This would have broken the lever again..but it was already broken.

IT AINT OVER!!! IT GEYS BETTER

So...by now the guys are just pissing themselves except for the guy who owns the bike. It looked like he'd recently had surgery or something. Id noticed earlier that he had a big red scar or welt across his neck. Ok...they finally decide that buddy here is going to sit on the bike with the rope looped on his neck. He can hold the bars...They figure he can brace himself enough to pull the bike along behind the car. They make a loop (not a noose) and put it round his neck...the other 4 guys hop in the car..crank the tunes. Buddy gives the thumbs up and off they go. The problem with getting a 550 pound bike moving is getting it up to speed. Buddys arms buckle under the too sudden pull of the car. The guys in the car meantime have the music way up..and dont notice that the bike isnt moving....buddy is. Seems they yanked buddy over the bars and dragged him (yelling STOP!!! STOP!!!) for 30 or so feet before looking back and seeing the bike lying in the road. Id have not belived the tale except for A-The obvious youth and stupidity of the 5. B-The nasty welt on the guys neck...it was actually bleeding a little bit.

They came back later..having counted the shiny chrome pipes and determined it was a silver-wing GL650 instead of a GoldWing. To quote them "One of those Honda bikes..theyre all pretty much the same levers right?"

Thats my story..I was there..I lived it baby.

There you have it, folks... 1988. The beginning of the association with idiots and Hondas. :)

Back