Choosing the right ECU for B series SWAP

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SCMFOX

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I have a 97 Civic and am attempting to swap a (2000 or 2001) b18c1 that came with an OBD2b P72-A05 ECU. I am wondering if i can by pass the immobilizer if i get a P72-A03 ECU. Not sure the year of the car the P72-A03 came out of, but will it work for my desired swap with no modification?

AND WHAT THE HELL DOES "CHIPPED" MEAN???? used in the term of a CHIPPED ECU.

I have a 97 Civic and am attempting to swap a (2000 or 2001) b18c1 that came with an OBD2b P72-A05 ECU. I am wondering if i can by pass the immobilizer if i get a P72-A03 ECU. Not sure the year of the car the P72-A03 came out of, but will it work for my desired swap with no modification?

It's not easy to get around the immobilizer. You need a matching ignition set to go with it.

That's why most people just swap to OBD1. A jumper harness {2 to 1} and an odb1 p72, and a wire change for the iab difference { switched polarity from nc to no if I recall correctly... Maybe its the other way around} is the easiest way.

A chipped ECU is an ECU that's been modified with a socket for an external ROM. This is how you would tune your car if you added a turbo for example. The external ROM can be modified by a tuner to run custom settings (fuel maps, air maps, eliminate O2 sensors, etc.).

There's also "reflashing." A reflash is when tuning software is hooked up to your ECU to pull the factory settings, modify them and then rewrite the ECU's memory with the modified settings. This does not require adding a socket to the ECU.

A reflash works well if you're dealing with basic mods (intake, header, exhaust, etc.) and still using the factory engine and ECU that came with your vehicle, but if you're swapping engines and ECUs or doing heavy mods like turbo, then it's better to get the ECU chipped.

Back