Clutch needed...which one should I buy?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MikeBergy

Blah blah blah....
So...my clutch is dying.

I'm hoping to have a 300whp turbo setup before the summer, and I want to buy a new clutch to accommodate that increase. Any suggestions? Name brands, "stage". Anything.

I'm looking at Action Clutches, based out of LA, and was wondering if anybody is running them...I'm trying to stay away from ACT, because I have heard they were only remanufactured disks. If there is anybody that can refute this, I might look into them.

WHAT!!!!NO!!! act all the way man! they provide badass hold and last for a long time. don't go with some knock-off. but if you don't want to listen to me at least go for a kevlar faced clutch and a really heavy spring pressured p plate

Action Clutch is in no way a knock off brand, lol. but thanks. Rocket uses them, as do quite a few people on Honda-Tech. They are based out of LA, and from what I have read, ACT's racing clutch disks have a harsher engagement than I want.
I did a bit of research in the past couple of days, and the 1MD should suit my needs wonderfully. Now I just need to find a jdm y1 and a quaife LSD. :)

that clutch that you are looking at will be like a on off switch there is no sliping a puck clutch and not to mention that it dosent have a sprung hub either

Action 1MD Clutch | Kteller Inc - The solution for the Sport Compact Industry.

This is the clutch I bought, 345 shipped. Blanco, I wish you had posted earlier, I'll keep that site for reference when I upgrade t a type r transmission somewhere down the line.
ACT can lick my balls for what they charge for their stuff.
you paid the same amount for an action clutch as you would have for an act. that and the clutch you bought will have NO slip off the line and no smooth engagement. you're gonna have to rev the piss out of it and try to let the cluch out. that and you'll rip up your flywheel with that clutch too. it's like it makes small welds all around the pressure plate and flywheel and makes a solid bond. but anyway, good luck with that clutch setup.

you paid the same amount for an action clutch as you would have for an act. that and the clutch you bought will have NO slip off the line and no smooth engagement. you're gonna have to rev the piss out of it and try to let the cluch out. that and you'll rip up your flywheel with that clutch too. it's like it makes small welds all around the pressure plate and flywheel and makes a solid bond. but anyway, good luck with that clutch setup.

Everything I've read says exactly the opposite of what you are stating. The ACT combo of pressure plate and disc that would have yielded the same clamping force as the action clutch I bought would have cost a bit more. The only ACT setups that would have fit within my budget were organic discs, and I am staying away from those. The 6 puck disc by ACT has a friction material that has a very harsh engagement, unlike what I have read on the friction material on the action clutch (MIBA)

this is a nice street clutch and it is a long arm style pressure plate the only dirrect bolt in long arm kit for a honda RAM Revolution Clutch Kits: RAM-78697 - summitracing.com

i would trade one of these for my twin disk tilton that is in my DD any day
No thanks, I just say no to organic. Mine just fell apart. And, off topic, I work with a guy who works at Tilton, just down the street from where I work.

that clutch that you are looking at will be like a on off switch there is no sliping a puck clutch and not to mention that it dosent have a sprung hub either
Like I said. The combination of friction material and surface area are what will make it bad or good. The sprung hub does nothing but dampen engine vibration that is trying to get to the transmission, essentially making the tranny gears chatter a little less.

any unsprung puck clutch will be very harsh and i bet you will kill it all the time and look like and ass all the time

not true, i drove a friend's integra with a 6 puck act clutch and while it was interesting, it takes less than 10 minutes to figure out.

forgot to add that i drove that teggy for almost a month...needless to say i MISSED my prelude.

i hade a 6 puck act in my ek hatch with a ls and i drove it daily for about a year and got very used to it but i dont think that i would make that choice again

Last edited:
Back