code 21 solenoid valve

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sol~VX

hey everyone....ok here's a question...kind of a loaded one so bare with me....am a girlie who is just learning about her car....hehe

I have a 93 delsol with a JDM b16a, p28 chipped ecu, acura gsr transmission...bought it with the swap already done...the check engine light keeps coming on so I took it in to see what the prob was.....code 21....the guy said that I am missing the spool solenoid valve...there is a NOS setup on the engine, and I am pretty sure it's not fully functional yet...needs some wiring for the switches, but the guy said because of the nos hookups this is why the solenoid valve is missing....sooooo how can I get rid of the CEL or do I have to get this solenoid valve put in to get rid of it?

I don't really care about the nos system, so is it a big job to get rid of it.....take it out all together?

All I really wanna do is get rid of the CEL.

Thanks for any help & patience with my lack of knowledge ;)

Isnt 21 VTEC Solenoid code?

That means that you still have to wire the VTEC system in your car.

I know the guys at intercrew out here in Dallas had my VTEC up and running in less than 3 hours. I didnt have an friends around to help me get the wires through the firewall, and they only charged me 60 bucks...not a bad price seeing as i got to watch some TV in an air conditioned room.

The solenoid should be there, but you might have to ghetto wire a conversion for the VTEC (although if you have the old harness you can just swap it over).

If the solenoid was missing, there would be oil pouring out of the side of your engine :)

Probably just not connected. You're going to need to run the wiring from teh solenoid to the ECU, or find the break in the line. The n2o set up shoud be why it doesn't work, just might be a wiring mess.

thanks 92b16vx & reikoshea :)

heehee...ok so I guess I am lucky the solenoid is still there....muhaha.

now this whole wiring thing is sooo far beyond me so I'll take the info you guys posted into a shop this week & see if they can fgure out how to wire the solenoid to the ecu...I don't have the old harness....but is it as simple as getting the harness and plugging it in....or would I still need to do something to the ecu cuz it's a chipped p28.....oh and is it ok to drive with the code 21 - VTEC solenoid code...thanks for that correction reikoshea...am I gonna damage anything by driving it with this problem?

:D
~Kiersten

you wont damage anything, you just wont be utilizing the engine's potential. without vtec you effectively stiffle your horsepower. Not many normal shops are going to know how to wire your ecu pins. If you can find an import performance shop, that will be your best bet. If you think you are handy with wiring you can always try your hand at it yourself. 92b16vx wrote an article on how to wire vtec in the general tech article section.

hehe....funny guys ;)

anyone here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada who can wire this for me....I'll call a few performance shops & see if they have experience in this...doubt I'll find anyone less than $60/hr though....oh well....must get rid of cel !!!

UPDATE: CEL gone!!!

oh silly, silly girl I am...took it to a perf. shop...it was only a wee little wire that came apart....all the fuss for nothin' and everything was there in it's place...teeheeee....no cel...whooohooo.

Thanks boys for all your help :D

~Kiersten

;)

hey b16efhatch....I didn't get to drive it too far since yesterday....and when I was coming home it was bumper 2 bumper traffic....so I really didn't notice a huge difference yet....do you think I will when I get it on the hwy?

I think I'll need to take out my chip in the p28 ecu...it's a mugen & I have been reading nothing but bad about it...do you think this chip has disabled the vtec??? I think I read that somewhere.....I'll start a new thread about what's best for my setup :D

talk 2u soon ;)
~K

If you are planning on removing the chip, you had better have something to put in its place or else your car is not going to run.

Back