Coilover Spring Rates

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EKDRIFTER

Hey guys....

learned my lesson; you get what you pay for....

i have AROSPEED COILOVERS...in my 96 CIVIC HB...the ride is BOUNCY AS heck!! i currently have 400lbs springs up front and 350lbs springs at the rear

people have reccomended me to get better spring rates...

what do you guys recommend for a daily driver....im gonna stick with the coilovers just going to change the springs for better rates...

forgot to add.....i got 17" konig flatlines with FALKEN 205/40/17 tires

daily driver in a non-perfect road...

AROSPEED COILOVERS are most likeley crap.

it most likely isn't the spring rate per say.

what shocks are you using. cause it sounds more like a shock problem than springs.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Feb 18 2003, 03:01 PM
AROSPEED COILOVERS are most likeley crap.

it most likely isn't the spring rate per say.

what shocks are you using. cause it sounds more like a shock problem than springs.

agreed, sounds like ur springs are doin all the work and ur shocks are doin anything on the rebound to help

my suspension is REALLY STIFF!! i dont think its a rebound problem...it has way too much rebound....

my car feels like if it was on a BOARD!!

remember...400lbs spring rate up front and 350lbs down back!

HEEEEEEEELP....gymkhana coming up soon! jeje

based solely on what I've read from Honda tuning books, mags, articles...

Honda engineers understeer in their cars because it is easier to control understeer than oversteer. That said, most lower end (CHEAP) spring manufacturers match the OEM spring ratio. Heavier springs in front.

Try swapping the front to the rear to make it more neutral.

But I'm confused about your problem...first you said it was "bouncy as heck" then you said it was "really stiff"

So which is it? A bouncy ride would normally be caused by worn shocks. If they're brand new, they may be defective :( If they are used, try replacing them :)

Originally posted by EKDRIFTER@Feb 21 2003, 07:44 PM
my suspension is REALLY STIFF!! i dont think its a rebound problem...it has way too much rebound....

my car feels like if it was on a BOARD!!

remember...400lbs spring rate up front and 350lbs down back!

HEEEEEEEELP....gymkhana coming up soon! jeje

too much rebound...exactly, if u find that ur car is bouncing alot after a bump or uneven surface, then the shocks are not helping the rebound, ie the springs are rebounding faster than the shock can control.

a ride can be stiff and bouncy at the same time. from the description i am guessing that the car is not settling fast enough. u need better shocks if u are using stock ones with that spring rate.

Back