cold air, regular, or short ram intake

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Most of the power gains of a cold air intake come from the K&N type hi flow filter. The rest comes basically from the smooth tube, which is basically just a tube, which is a lot better than the ribbed-for-your -bad-airflow-displeasure stock intake. There is something to be said for the new V2s and the larger chamber, but mostly you're seeing gains from the high flow filter element and the smooth tube. Also, even though there is the risk of sucking in moisture, the fact that they are pulling in air from a cooler part of the car, rather than right inside the engine bay, gives you a couple ponies. But this is the case with ANY system that sucks air from the fenderwell. Honda even made it easy for you to do this yourself by having the factory hole in the fenderwell for you to utilize if you want to make one of your own.

My point is that you can custom make your own intake for a hell of a lot less than the AEMs, put a good quality K&N or clone filter on there and get about the same power gains (not quite as good as the V2 though). It just depends on whether or not you wanna stick the filter down in the well to get the extra couple hp, or just stick with the short ram plan. Also, with the short ram, another good idea is to custom fab a box from aluminum OVER the hole in the frame rail, and seal off the area where your filter sucks air from. This way you can still suck the cold air from the fenderwell, but at a much higher elevation so as not to have as much of a risk of sucking in water. Nothing is foolproof, but this will net you about the same gains as a true cold air intake, with quite a bit less risk of destroying your engine with water. Remember, with any higher than stock flow system, your likelihood of sucking in "bad things" goes up proportionately.

Also, keep in mind that 2 or 3 horsepower makes very little difference in your quarter mile time. You won't see it in your ET by itself. Your overall quickness is a combination of ALL your parts, and the small difference in horsepower between a homemade intake and a $300 intake is just not worth it to some people.

I'am with him on this one. I use to have a aem short intake. I felt as if my stock air box gave me more power. So I decided to use the pipe since its bigger than the stock plastic tubing and trow in the stock air box with k&N filter, Man does my car feel good. With the short intake I would gain high end power but lose low end and with the K&N everything feels smooth.

Back