Compression calculators

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BrokenRex

I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on pistons for my LS/VTEC build, and was wondering why the calculators at
Honda B-Series Compression Calculator by ZealAutowerks
and
Compression Calculator - Honda, Acura Tech Website, tutorials, tuning and HOW-TO's. Drag racing, street racing, road racing - C-speedracing.com
are so different in their calculations for the same builds. I was hoping to get about 11.0 compression before shaving the head and block (just to make them flat) and was wondering what piston I would need.

The block is a B18A with a 81.5mm bore (will be after boring,) and a B16A head. I was hoping one of the "type R" pistons would get me that 11 compression cause of their skirt coating, but we'll see.

Don't trust those calculators. The only way to get it figured out is to actually bust out the glass, and the pipette, and measure everything.

Talk to someone who builds engines for a living, get their take.

Just out of curiosity, why are you shooting for a compression number?

because the pump gas in my area is 91octane, and i don't want to end up with something with so much compression that i need race gas for.

The ds.org folks use the zeal one and its pritty accurate.

Back