Computer is being shipped

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

+1 Vote for Gentoo, there are so many options and abilitys that Gentoo has. There write ups on the install are pretty damn good. Im going to attempt my second install over the weekend on my laptop.

What are you building your machine for? Just for a general machine or do you do CAD and what not with it?

ewww gnome, you should check out kubuntu. well for e anyway I like kde much better.

sabz you don't think emerge and aptitude are equals ?? I love how apt handles dependencies.

Emerge handles dependencies flawlessly. I also like how emerge compiles rather than installs precompiled binaries a'la RPM. It also has ungodly amounts of options.

For sure, apt is cool. Way better than RPM if what you want is pre-compiled binaries. But there are several reasons that I prefer emerge.

* Better dependency tracking
* I get the headers installed for free rather than having to find the foo-devel package.
* foo was compiled on my machine with my options so it is optimized for my machine.
* Overlays (layman) is way more powerful and just as easy as sources.list

I also prefer Gentoo because I like to tinker and [k]ubuntu/debian aren't as open to that.

well, i tried to install gentoo and it jacked my filesystem up, so i just had to reinstall xp. Didnt feel like finding my driver disks, so i installed ubuntu again, and now im back and online, at least.

im gonna try to install gentoo again and see if itll work right this time.

I know everyone hates Gnome, but KDE just doesnt do it for me. I swear im the only person at work that has a Gnome desktop. Everyone else is KDE.

I had a hard time installing Gentoo as well but Im gonna take another shot at it. At ITT there was one kid that ran Gnome everyone else used KDE. Aside from the kid that did command line only.

well im downloading gentoo again...im actually gonna get the stage file this time to see if that was my problem. Ill let ya know when i try it again. Ubuntu is currently rocking my world :)

Id like to hear how it goes for you. What kind of laptop are you going to be installing it on. Have you checked out Linux on Laptops before? It looks like they have alot of spec sheets on how people configure there machines.

Dell Inspiron 600m.

Ubuntu installs without a hitch. 3rd time ive installed it on this computer.

Ive got a Dell Latitude 110L, Ive installed Fedora Core and Enterprise Redhat on it and it went just fine. But gentoo is a new beast to me. I may end up installing somthing alittle less complicated to learn more about the file structure for Linux and other stuff. Either way keep us posted. I know there are alot of hardcore open source guys on here that could offer alot of help.

I prefer KDE only because Gnome started hiding configuation options. As for Gentoo, it requires more work than Ubuntu. I have never been able to make their LiveCD installer function so I always end up using their minimal CD. Plus the LiveCD uses genkernel which loves lots of modules and an initrd, both of which I avoid.

i really dont mind all the little extras, thats why i like the live cds. but im gonna try it again. ive got xp pro and ubunutu so far...ill try to get gentoo working when i go to work. if not, one of the linux buff sr's is working tonight and ill trick him into helping me with it.

im getting it from eVGA, cause they will cross ship.

all good now. i dont know why, but i have to hit the reset button after the system fails to post. once i do that, itll boot up just fine. im typing on my new computer right now, and ill be posting up pics of the build later tonight.

Try checking your wiring again and see if there is a new BIOS. I had a problem with my ASUS and it whenever I selected "restart" it just shutdown and didnt reboot. New BIOS fixed it. Also, could be RAM problems? Did you or are you planning to run Prime95 and memtest?

A nice way to look for corruptions is running 3DMark too. It'll load your system and if the card has problems, itll start artificating on the first run through and if it stresses your system too much, itll crash. Plus you get a benchmark!

SuperPI is also very good for benchmarks and loading your cpu with calculations.

Sorry if you knew all of this already. :ph34r:

Try checking your wiring again and see if there is a new BIOS. I had a problem with my ASUS and it whenever I selected "restart" it just shutdown and didnt reboot. New BIOS fixed it. Also, could be RAM problems? Did you or are you planning to run Prime95 and memtest?

A nice way to look for corruptions is running 3DMark too. It'll load your system and if the card has problems, itll start artificating on the first run through and if it stresses your system too much, itll crash. Plus you get a benchmark!

SuperPI is also very good for benchmarks and loading your cpu with calculations.

Sorry if you knew all of this already. :ph34r:

Havent run any benchmarks yet, but i do have a nice and stable over clock. I can play ashen empires (low budget MMO that usually eats my laptop alive) with no problems so im pretty stoked.

overclock.JPG

Shit I'm so loss when all these linus names came out....

But seriously, someone here should help me build my next system and load it with one of these open source os's.

all the *buntu's are EXTREMELY straight forward. If you get the Live CD the install is easier than windows to install. Gentoo, i found out, is very customizable, so you have to have a little knowledge when you are installing it.

Back