Converting from OBD0 to OBD1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Guy

Basically the situation is that im tired of the obd0 distributor. I just snagged a new one from distributor king about a month ago and its already throwing a code 9 from it. So What im looking to do is convert my obd0 b16a to an obd1 setup. For the past hour ive been researching this and a few discrepancies come up. Most everything ive read says that ill need a conversion harness to deal with the wiring. The consensus also agrees that ill need an obd1 ecu (p28 i imagine) as well as an obd1 distributor, here is where it gets fuzzy. Ill list the things that ive read that i may or may not read: OBD1 Injectors, OBD1 idle air control valve, OBD1 Intake manifold, OBD1 throttle body, etc.
Now http://www.jkobdconversionharness.com/mpc/...0to%20OBD1.html tells me that ill only need the initial three things. Im kind of worried because i called a shop i used to frequent for a price estimate and they told me that parts and all it would cost 1500 and if i sourced the parts it would be 750 in labor, which seems way too expensive to me.
Ideally I'd like some clarification from those of you who have performed this conversion and are farmilliar with it, as opposed to people who will just tell me what theyve heard from people.
thanks in advance
-Jeremiah

Those are very minor things it seems you need to do, don't take it to a shop for such little work. It's like 2 hours of work minus wiring..if you're slow.

I've never done it so I don't know much about it but I suppose you would need the complete intake manifold off and obd1 car, injectors, distibutor and ecu.

All of those parts can be had for less than 500 bucks and can be done over the weekend easily.

thats way too much to charge you when you can do it yourself. and with conversion harnesses its really easy.

there is one company that makes conversion harnesses for the distributor as well. but you have to use their ecu harness too. i cant remmeber where i saw it maybe someone else can chime in on that.

obd1 injectors, IACV, intake manifold are not needed. IACV is not OBD dependednt, and you can keep the stock injectors as long as you keep the resistor box. you will however need to use the obd1 throtte body so you can use the obd1 map sensor. obd0 and obd1 maps are slightly different. you can run it on the obd0 one but its really best to use the obd1 one.

only things you will really need are obd1 distributor, obd1 ecu, obd1 map sensor, conversion harness(es), and some wire and a soldering gun.

im not positive on the whole deal with the alternator but im fairly sure you can use the plugs from one alternator on the other so it will all plug and play.

Thanks for the comments thus far, keep them coming as id like to be able to draw on as much of everybodys experience as possible.

Not sure if it would make a difference, but i am currently using a skunk2 intake manifold

thanks

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Oct 25 2004, 05:18 PM

only things you will really need are obd1 distributor, obd1 ecu, obd1 map sensor, conversion harness(es), and some wire and a soldering gun.

[post=407351]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually, you don't need the obd1 throttle body or map sensor, the harness plugs are the same between the years. The only thing is that you must match the obd of map with the obd of tb. But, you do not need to use an obd1 TB to convert to grey plug (obd 1). Also, I ran mine with the obd 0 map/tb and noticed no difference when I switched to an obd1 map/tb. In addition you need the obd 1 or 2 fuel injector plugs/clips, and a 4 wire 02 sensor, if you can't find a used oem one, (and you sure don't want to pay for it new) you can run the bosche one. Also add some shrink wrap to the list of materials and of course electrical tape. Furthermore, you can run an obd 2 distributor, the only difference is the pin locations on the plugs of the dizzys, the obd2 uses a two plug design and the obd1 uses a 1 plug design (I believe that is the correct way around). Honestly its really no big deal, or too much work, you will recieve instructions and just follow them for proper pin/splice locations for 02 sensor wires, vtec oil pressure, vtec solenoid, etc... The main thing is just make good soldered connections and shrink wrap them where you can, its just basic wiring

the reason i say you need a new TB is cause you need the new map sensor. obd0 is 1.7 bar, obd1 is 1.8 bar. i know the plugs are the same but thats not the issue. the differences in the sensor are the issue.

Actually, you don't need the obd1 throttle body or map sensor, the harness plugs are the same between the years. The only thing is that you must match the obd of map with the obd of tb. But, you do not need to use an obd1 TB to convert to grey plug (obd 1). Also, I ran mine with the obd 0 map/tb and noticed no difference when I switched to an obd1 map/tb. In addition you need the obd 1 or 2 fuel injector plugs/clips, and a 4 wire 02 sensor, if you can't find a used oem one, (and you sure don't want to pay for it new) you can run the bosche one. Also add some shrink wrap to the list of materials and of course electrical tape. Furthermore, you can run an obd 2 distributor, the only difference is the pin locations on the plugs of the dizzys, the obd2 uses a two plug design and the obd1 uses a 1 plug design (I believe that is the correct way around). Honestly its really no big deal, or too much work, you will recieve instructions and just follow them for proper pin/splice locations for 02 sensor wires, vtec oil pressure, vtec solenoid, etc... The main thing is just make good soldered connections and shrink wrap them where you can, its just basic wiring

the reason i say you need a new TB is cause you need the new map sensor. obd0 is 1.7 bar, obd1 is 1.8 bar. i know the plugs are the same but thats not the issue. the differences in the sensor are the issue.

Soo VERIFYING - ( hate to dig out old thread ) that I use my obd1 harness with my obd0 intake manifold and use the OBD0 TPS and IACV and will run long as use OBD1 Map and Dist + Injectors ?

Back