Cop Story Rant + Radar Detector Buying

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

That's the thing. My first and only ticket was when I was young and dumb. I've made it a long ways ticket free, but don't want to give myself a false sense of security and then get boned when I get lidar'ed in a speed trap. In the next year or two I may be trading the Fit in for something bigger and possibly faster. This may make the situation worse.

Agreed. My V1's directional indicators were totally worth the extra money. I could have a 4872398423-band Cobra from walmart for $99.

I did keep track of the number of tickets the V1 saved me from, up until it'd paid for itself twice. I'm not talking "oh, that cop I see has radar on" but "Where's that radar coming from, oh, shit. Motorcycle cop hiding crouched down between jersey wall" kind of saves. I would have gotten at least 7 tickets on my cross country trip had I not been using it. The best part is the bogey counter, cops aren't stupid, and I came across a lot of gas stations out in the middle of nowhere with a cop sitting somewhere nearby to make use of the false-alarm.

It's all a matter of how you drive, for some people, slamming on the brakes whenever they hear a beep is enough warning. Personally, I like to make visual while I'm downshifting.

Damn straight. Mine has saved me thousands on thousands of dollars over the years.

So when it comes to detection, should the passport get written off due to not having arrows? Every review I've seen year after year put the V1 and Passport hand and hand..

My biggest beef with the V1 that keeps me from wanting one, I think it looks like chit, it reminds me of a Ninja 250 before they finely updated it. gotta go 15 years before making it look like something not from the 80s....

Honestly, I don't care what the case looks like- it depends on what works best. You should probably try them both out if you can before you make your decision. I know that I will never choose the current Passport line over the V1, and that every time I go to a high dollar car show or track event, there are quite a few more V1s hanging off the intructors' cars and Ferraris/Lambos/misc exotics than Passports. They're both excellent detectors though- how you like to drive will determine what you want to buy.

I got plenty of tickets with a radar detector. I don't even get pulled over now. Just slow down. Works every time.

Come live in Texas. We drive WAY too much to do that. When you're cruising at 85 and the cop comes up behind you just to wave you out of the way because you're going too slow, you're driving in Texas.

Come live in Texas. We drive WAY too much to do that. When you're cruising at 85 and the cop comes up behind you just to wave you out of the way because you're going too slow, you're driving in Texas.

That's kinda loaded, parts of i-10 in Texas are marked 85MPH.

Buy a fast bike. Travel Mach 3. They don't ever bother pulling you over.*

*Side effects may include discomfort, headache, loss of skin, broken bones, retardation, paralization. Some not so rare cases of dismemberment, disembowlment, and death have been reported. Consulting your doctor won't fucking help. Wearing good gear may leave you with a pretty corpse.

My friends use V1s as with passports I haven't noticed a difference in either one outside of arrows and looks.

More people buy V1s because of threads like this. V1s will always be the better detector, even if detector test show both to be the same. It's just a bigger name with a MUCH bigger following.

Kinda like apple and bose. although unlike bose V1 is a legit product. IMO you can't go wrong with either a V1 or Passport they're both the cream of the crop.

I got plenty of tickets with a radar detector. I don't even get pulled over now. Just slow down. Works every time.

If you're flat out speeding, radar detectors wont help that much since most speed traps will catch you. What radar detectors do help you with is when you're driving the speed of traffic and enter into a speed trap, normally the cars way in front of you will get tagged and you'll see it well in advance. Speed of traffic in most places is over the speed limit, it's just a matter of time before they try to make an example out of "insert random street"

I don't care what detector you have, when you're driving alone at night doing 20+ over the speed limit, there's not much it will do when the police officer doesn't turn on the radar gun until you're right next to them...... doesn't help.

Anyways, the don't speed thing is BS, everyone speeds, if you don't you're getting passed left and right.

Exactly, I have tons of people pick on me because I openly admit to drive over posted limits basically everywhere other than school zones or known speed trap areas. It's a fact of life - when I go somewhere I usually like to get there on time. Local limits around here are laughable for the most part. Anyone dumb enough to do 65mph on the Mass Pike is basically a roadblock.

Buy a fast bike. Travel Mach 3. They don't ever bother pulling you over.*

*Side effects may include discomfort, headache, loss of skin, broken bones, retardation, paralization. Some not so rare cases of dismemberment, disembowlment, and death have been reported. Consulting your doctor won't fucking help. Wearing good gear may leave you with a pretty corpse.

LMAO!!! :lmao:

If you're flat out speeding, radar detectors wont help that much since most speed traps will catch you. What radar detectors do help you with is when you're driving the speed of traffic and enter into a speed trap, normally the cars way in front of you will get tagged and you'll see it well in advance. Speed of traffic in most places is over the speed limit, it's just a matter of time before they try to make an example out of "insert random street"

I don't care what detector you have, when you're driving alone at night doing 20+ over the speed limit, there's not much it will do when the police officer doesn't turn on the radar gun until you're right next to them...... doesn't help.

Anyways, the don't speed thing is BS, everyone speeds, if you don't you're getting passed left and right.
I generally do 70-75 if I'm on the Parkway/Turnpike. Once in awhile I'll do 80-85, but then you can just watch traffic and see. Everyone is breaking 100 yards up? Probably a cop.

Around town I'm 5 over tops. I just don't really speed anymore. I leave enough time to get there at normal speeds. I do 20 on my own block. Of course, this is in NJ. I'm sure in places were stuff is more spread out, I would get on it more.

i dont really feel bad for any of you with tickets, considering ive lost my license twice now for having inspection sticker violations, while being treated like a murderer to any cop that comes to my window no matter how polite i am.

if you dont want to get caught speeding, then dont fucking speed. its not rocket science. that $400 for a detector feels alot better in my wallet than sitting on the dash of my car. plus speeding is not profitable to the consumer, only the police FARCE.

both my mirages are sporting "THE THIN BLUE LIE" vinyl. is your car?

I know plenty of LEO's, and unless you are DIRECTLY RELATED to a LEO, most take huge offense to anyone else sporting that sticker.

All in all, they are all out to do their job and keep us safe. Unfortunately it all comes down to giving them a reason to pull you over or treat you like a asshole, intentional or not. I got tons of shit when I drove my Civics. Bought my Sentra and never got stopped. Had the fit for almost a year and while I've been pulled over probably 8 times - no tickets and been treated well by every cop.

I have a clean record - which helps, but I also have a newer car am consequently white and live in a rural middle class town. It all helps.

I've been searched, profiled and yelled at by state troopers, campus cops, local yokels and city cops alike. Over time I've learned to not directly fear them. They are a nuisance, but will not go away - speeding or not.

But I still don't get the "don't speed" arguement. I drive as fast as I feel comfortable most of the time - but safely. In my opinion LEO's could be enforcing more traffic laws than speeding.
Problem is, lawmakers associate speeding with killing people.And speeding tickets also makeup a backbone of traffic enforcement income. I'm waiting for the day MA institutes widespread speed cameras and redlight cameras.

The problem with speeding is most people do not assume that everyone else is speeding along. When I pass someone or change lanes I assume others are doing the speed limit or maybe 5 over. Most of us know how to handle our cars at higher than posted speeds but that doesn't mean the little old lady down the road can tell your going to be on her ass in 3 seconds and she decides to change lanes.

Had the fit for almost a year and while I've been pulled over probably 8 times - no tickets and been treated well by every cop.

I have a clean record - which helps, but I also have a newer car am consequently white and live in a rural middle class town. It all helps.

I've been searched, profiled and yelled at by state troopers, campus cops, local yokels and city cops alike. Over time I've learned to not directly fear them. They are a nuisance, but will not go away - speeding or not.

Which is why I'm thinking about getting away from honda, or at least getting away from the lower-end of honda. It's more of our age group + image, the LEOs harass us because we carry ourselves like we're successful. Drive a new car, be young, and act with confidence and you're automatically a criminal -- because that's how the big-time criminals act.

I've come to expect getting harassed in MD, but you know what? I haven't been harassed by a county sheriff's deputy since I donated to the deputys' union. I haven't been harassed from the city police since I donated to the city's fallen officer's association. State troopers don't bother me either anymore. Let me also toss out that I have a HUGE ricer banner across my windshield -- everyone who is in the NE knows what I'm talking about.

Most of us know how to handle our cars at higher than posted speeds but that doesn't mean the little old lady down the road can tell your going to be on her ass in 3 seconds and she decides to change lanes.

That's the thing about speed... Nobody in the US knows how to react to a car overtaking them at 100+ MPH, much less a bike. I love to pass people on the inside of a curve if it's safe to do so (multi-lane road) on both the bike and the car, but I've also almost scared the piss out of people by doing so. The only time I travel at above the limit is on back roads -- where there's enjoyment in doing so.

Last edited:
That's kinda loaded, parts of i-10 in Texas are marked 85MPH.

Nope, just 80mph west of San Antonio. I remember when the laws were passed, and the last time I drove them out there a few months ago none were marked at 85mph. If they are, I'd LOVE to see a picture. :) And everyone drives 95-100 in the 80 zones.

Kinda like apple and bose. although unlike bose V1 is a legit product. IMO you can't go wrong with either a V1 or Passport they're both the cream of the crop.

Yup.

Very true too. The radar detector is just another pair of ears and eyes, not a shield. Use it as such and be happy. :)

Back