Corn fed Evo part 2!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

damn wish i could even find it here..gotta question..would e-85 be safe for just a relatively stock d16z6??
has intake,header,and exhaust..

e85 only makes serious power on turbo'd motors

I think he meant substantial gains. You can allow more boost due to the higher resistance to detonation. There's not much power you can tune into a stockish NA D Series.

Last edited:
You can't really compare like that- it's proportional. That's the same as saying you're not going to get a ton of power N/A on any kind of fuel- it's not like the same percentage gains won't be available to you when tuning N/A vs turbo.

Dont you have to change your fuel lines and various intake components to parts that can handle the alcohol corrosion?
Nope, supposidly all newer cars can handle it. I've put about 50,000 miles on Ethanol no issues so far.

You can't really compare like that- it's proportional. That's the same as saying you're not going to get a ton of power N/A on any kind of fuel- it's not like the same percentage gains won't be available to you when tuning N/A vs turbo.
I plan on tuning my 13:1 CR B18C5 on E85 because it should run better than on 91.

But ya, boosted cars love E85. They say its 105 octane but people compare it to C16.

But ya, boosted cars love E85. They say its 105 octane but people compare it to C16.
....sooooooometimes, its 105, sometimes its 110, sometimes its over 115. A local gas station has a "meter" set up to tell you exactly what blended mixture is in the holding tank.

It is for sure some sweet smelling fuel.

Nope, supposidly all newer cars can handle it. I've put about 50,000 miles on Ethanol no issues so far.

E10, not E85.

....sooooooometimes, its 105, sometimes its 110, sometimes its over 115. A local gas station has a "meter" set up to tell you exactly what blended mixture is in the holding tank.

It is for sure some sweet smelling fuel.

That's pretty cool- I haven't seen any stations in Texas with a mixture meter. Hell, I've only 1 or 2 that even sell E85. I'd like to find a few more...

I know of one station with E85 around my part of Maryland, thankfully it is right down the street, it''s tempting to run it in the Z and get it retuned, although it does take a few mods to get it running right. I already have a new fuel system in place so I might be ok. Although with my setup, power isnt an issue I've got at least another 200WHP to easily be had by simply just pushing a button. Only issue is my Rods wont like it.

Dont you just hate low # dynos? My car pulled off 373 on a DD dyno so now I'm stuck at that number, another guy same car same turbo and outisde of a different brand same style same size exhaust, was tuned on the same DD dyno at 370WHP then later on dynoed it again and made 43x on a dyno jet.

So does my car have 373 WHP or 430 +

Last edited:
I know of one station with E85 around my part of Maryland, thankfully it is right down the street, it''s tempting to run it in the Z and get it retuned, although it does take a few mods to get it running right. I already have a new fuel system in place so I might be ok. Although with my setup, power isnt an issue I've got at least another 200WHP to easily be had by simply just pushing a button. Only issue is my Rods wont like it.

Dont you just hate low # dynos? My car pulled off 373 on a DD dyno so now I'm stuck at that number, another guy same car same turbo and outisde of a different brand same style same size exhaust, was tuned on the same DD dyno at 370WHP then later on dynoed it again and made 43x on a dyno jet.

So does my car have 373 WHP or 430 +
Exactly! I want to be a numbers whore and have more than 420 at the wheels. lol. oh well, the car is fast.

Make the switch to E85. If you're worried about your rods just don't tune it to max on E85. At least you'll have comfort in knowing you're using a better fuel that burns cooler not having to worry about knock. Plus its cheap! You just need to increase your injector size. For your setup you would probably need 1200's or so. I'm running RC1000's on mine with stock turbo and cams.
E10, not E85.
I was talking about E85. I have not seen any issues, I'm not the only one running the stuff.

alot of mitsubishi owners are moving to E85. we have a few turbo mirages running it with zero issues. one of them even has almost 200K on the clock and is turbocharged. engine has never been cracked open to replace anything.

i'd run it too if the closest station wasnt 65 miles away.

no public e85 stations anywhere in CT

I was talking about E85. I have not seen any issues, I'm not the only one running the stuff.

Hmm. I just know that I've seen too many accounts of cars seizing up components that are running E85 when they're really only good for E10. Minis like to drop their fuel pumps for one.

Hmm. I just know that I've seen too many accounts of cars seizing up components that are running E85 when they're really only good for E10. Minis like to drop their fuel pumps for one.
No issues for evo's. :\

the only thing that sucks is that you have to tune a lower AFR, like 9-10:1 right? there goes MPG lol. obviously on a track car or weekend warrior type car its not a big deal, but i wouldnt do it to my DD.

No, you tune for a higher AFR like 12:1. But still kills your MPG because it takes a lot more fuel to reach a certain AFR on E85.

My mileage went from 22 - > 16

Cost of 91 octane is 3.25
Cost of E85 is 2.60

So it ends up being a wash for a 70whp gain.

Last edited:
We tune our E85 cars locally for 8:1 ratio. Basically... put fuel and boost to it until it stops making power, then lean it out just a little bit.

Back