Correct camber?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eml1618

What is a good camber range for a daily driven 96-00 civic? Thanks.

the spec i believe is something around -.3 front, and -.5 in the rear. that varies from model to model, i believe thats what it is for my car. something in that ball park (if your not autocrossing or anything) with 0 zero will make your tires last a nice long time.

is there a way to adjust camber to those specs on stock civics, or is Ingalls & the like the only way?

Camber on stock parts isn't adjustable, you can get any number of aftermarket kits, but IMO the ones that adjust at the upper ball joint are the best. The other design, like the one that the Skunk2 version uses, has been known to fail, and it is usually attributted to the thin metal parts, at the adjustment location.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 27 2004, 03:59 AM
The other design, like the one that the Skunk2 version uses

skunk2 also uses a sliding ball joint design. ive not had a problem with mine in almost 2 years.

the only camber that is adjustable without buying anything extra would be the rear. if you use the shim trick, you dont need a camber kit, just some shims. for the front, you have to get a kit to adjust.

Originally posted by BlackFrog+Mar 27 2004, 03:41 PM-->
@Mar 27 2004, 03:59 AM
The other design, like the one that the Skunk2 version uses

skunk2 also uses a sliding ball joint design. ive not had a problem with mine in almost 2 years.

the only camber that is adjustable without buying anything extra would be the rear. if you use the shim trick, you dont need a camber kit, just some shims. for the front, you have to get a kit to adjust.

There are two or three different designs for the ball joint adjusting ones, Skunk2 only uses one of these designs, Ingalls, uses two. One is the sliding type like Skunk2 and the other is a block type. I have heard quite a few peoples experiances with the Skunk2 type failing, also have heard, many that are fine. But it's a chance I wouldn't want to take myself.

I meant i site that you can order off of. Also which one is the block type kit that was mentioned above (for a 97 EJ)? Also if a camber correction kit were to 'fail' what would be the worst that would happen. Thanks...

Originally posted by eml1618@Mar 29 2004, 07:43 PM
I meant i site that you can order off of. Also which one is the block type kit that was mentioned above (for a 97 EJ)? Also if a camber correction kit were to 'fail' what would be the worst that would happen. Thanks...

Depends on how bad it fails. I guess worse case scenerio is you knuckle comes off at the upper A arm, and flops around under you suspension destroying everything in it's path, of couse, that is after it rips the tie rod end out leaving you holding on to a useless steering wheel. But chances of that happening, are next to nil.

I'm just trying to weigh my options, i just want to get a solid camber fix that i'm not going to have to attend to all the time, kinda do it and be done with it deal.

I ordered my Ingalls rear kit from Lightning- no problems with the shipment. On the other hand, I bought a Skunk2 kit for my front end for pretty cheap (open box), and I've been really happy with it. I might want adjustable caster without pulling the front end around with my traction bars though, so an SPC or Ingalls front kit is probably in my future.

Anyone with personal experience of Skunk2's failing? If so please include details...I would order the ingalls but the only ones I can find are the ones similar to skunk2's and the skunk2's are cheaper. (96-00 Civic). Thanks.

Originally posted by eml1618@Apr 4 2004, 07:24 PM
Anyone with personal experience of Skunk2's failing? If so please include details...I would order the ingalls but the only ones I can find are the ones similar to skunk2's and the skunk2's are cheaper. (96-00 Civic). Thanks.

All the Skunk2s I have seen fail on boards and one in person has been due to the UCA hitting the inside of the shock tower on a slammed car, which stops the arm in its tracks and the top of the knuckle keeps on going right through the UCA at the adjustment slots. There is a local guy who I autox with, he runs a SM civic hatch on 650#/850# springs on advance design shocks and Hoosiers and has had his Skunk2 UCAs for 2 seasons now. His only problem was they would slip out of adjustment, but that was solved by grinding the paint off the arm under the bolts. I have seen one too many fail to be comfortable with them on my car, especially if I ever hit something hard enough to hit the UCA on the shock tower, Id like the car not to fall apart :D

{Ingalls CA100L-R, Civic 96-00, Front -1° to +3° Includes new balljoints}

This is the ingalls kit at lightningmotorsports.com, does any one know if I am going to have the same problem with these as with the skunk2's...

I also came across these today..anyone know if these would be any better of a fix?
http://www.spcperformance.com/PerfPartSect..._67320_360.html

Back