Couple of Q's bout MINI-ME/ZC/D16a6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hybrid89

thistownsucks...
I recently reclaimed a 89 Civic Si hatch that I sold a year ago. After getting it back and accesing the complete neglect to ones vehicle, I'm stuck rebuilding the motor. I had to get a replacement D16a6 block. I have also aquired a 98 d16y8 complete top end. I want to keep the block because of smog purposes, but the head I can get away with. Motors are no prob for me, I just never started with building up SOHC's and have always opted for the b series. I don't want to swap because I plan on selling the car in a year or so but want to make it fairly quick(ZC pistons, D16Y8 Head, cam, bolt ons, and some head work. here are my questions...

1. I want to use a ZC piston for higher CR . I know they are the same bore, but what about wrist pin height? is a ZC piston a ZC is a ZC is a ZC? I know that they are out of a DOHC engine, but they do make SOHC (brown top ) versions also.(and for those of you who say BS, I used to have one!

2. I know the head will bolt right up. I am staying OBD 0. shouls I just use all of the sensors from the D16A6 head along with the dizzy? what about ECU options?

3. Any guess on HP/Trq. #'s with this setup?

4. what types of cams are complimentary for this setup? whos making the shizle?

thanks

matt

1. When people talk about using ZC pistons to increase compression, they're referring to the DOHC ZC piston. You want to pay attention to the code stamped on the piston itself, not the engine it came out of. The DOHC ZC pistons are marked PM7 or P29, and they have the 7.2cc dome. The SOHC ZC (I have one) is the same as the D16A6 except for the camshaft, so the pistons are marked PM6. Dropping SOHC ZC pistons into your D16A6 block for a performance gain is pointless- you won't gain anything. The pin heights (compression heights) are different between D series pistons, so you need to pay attention to that- it makes a big difference in compression between engines.

2. You can do that. If you stay non-OBD, just control VTEC with something like a VAFC.

3. The standard estimate is about 130hp at the crank for just bolting on the VTEC head.

4. Crower/Skunk2 are some of the best "off the shelf" D series cams, ZEX is decent too. There are a ton of other cams that are awesome too- Exospeed and EF1 make some I think. Go research.

Thanks Calesta. Any idea wher I could get a set of ZC pistons online? I know ebay, but everyone that has new pistons are out of the country and MO only. F that. I want someone in the states, an online shop. I've checked the couple of shops that I trust, but it is all b series parts.

matt

Originally posted by hybrid89@Jul 16 2004, 03:56 PM
Thanks Calesta. Any idea wher I could get a set of ZC pistons online? I know ebay, but everyone that has new pistons are out of the country and MO only. F that. I want someone in the states, an online shop. I've checked the couple of shops that I trust, but it is all b series parts.

matt

If you want brand new DOHC ZC pistons, you're going to have to go to a dealer. Everyone else online sells them used... hell, Honda hasn't built those pistons into an engine since 1991, maybe 1992. Either way, it's been 10 years since those pistons have been used in production Hondas.

If you want to spend the money buying new pistons, I would just get some custom units from ImportBuilders or Intercrew- new forged slugs aren't going to cost you much more than new cast units from a Honda dealer.

Go check around on Honda-Tech or D-series.org- there's always people on both boards with PM7/P29 pistons for sale.

Back