Crank seals keep binding / blowing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

smooth_criminal

OK so i have a fully built b1 motor from the oil pan the the valve cover boosting 10psi on an 18G.
The problem i keep having is the the oil pump crank seal and the rear main seal keep leaking, i've replaced both twice within the llast 1000 miles and just replaced the rear main seal again over the weekend and it's fucking leaking again? What could be the problem, the oil burning on the exhaust is litterally making me sick in the mornings and i can't fucking stand it when i pull up to a light and the oil smoke just pours out of the side of the car. I don't know if the machine shop fucked my crank up when they polished it and balanced it or what, Is there anything i can try to make this shit stop short of taking the car to a shop. I mean i don't even know were i would take it consitering the amount of mod's and the swap being consitered.

Well it sounds like you have done it enough times, so you are installing the seals correctly. Are they OEM seals or autozoo? Do you have a pcv system set up? may have something to do with it, not sure. Do you have aftermarket pulleys?

I always run honda seals. Yeah they are installed correctly and clearance double checked. I'm running a stock PVC setup and a breather tank off the VC. Since i have a B1 it doesn't have the PCV off the back of the block it's just on the VC cover to the IM. No block box like on vtec motors.

nope, stock LS crank pully.
wiesco pistons
Eagle H-beam rods
LS crank micro polished and balanced.
LS tranny,
ACT HDSS cluck
Stock LS flywheel
Morsmo oil pan
Stock oil pick up and windage tray

So what do the seals look like when you are taking them out? Are you using honda-bond on the oil pump and main seal cover

I'll post pic's when i get home, but the seals basiclly fold up in one spot and then the retaining spring pops forward and that starts the leak. On the oil pump and the main over i use RTV and it's holding fine, it's not leaking from the cover it's coming right out of the seals. I make sure i wipe the crank clean and then put a coat of oil on the crank and the inner part of the seal before i install them. Even thing it tq to spec, it's just driving me nuts that i can't get it to stop.

Yeah i'm thnking it's biulding up crank case pressure because the way the B1 PCV is setup. I'm going to have to try and figure something out because all the info online points torward Vtec setups with the block tank on the block.

were the thrust bearings replaced when the motor was built? It could also be your crank walking a little bit too much. But the pcv was what I originally thought.

Back