CRV with Civic crankshaft pulley?!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HatchSpeeD

...Hi...
Ok, here's the deal. I just helped my g/f purchase a 98 CRV automatic from a used car place. They just got the car from a dealer as a trade in, 111k. I noticed a few little things here there it needed was able to drop the price, cuz I will fix the problems on my own.
One of them was the powersteering belt looked to be either the wrong size or missing a rib.
Long story short, when we brought it home I changed a few things & replaced the PS Belt. Started it up & the belt rubs against the crankpulley. I tried playing around with it but it's clearly making contact.

I noticed that the alternator belt was part # 38920-p2a-003 which from googling, turns out to be a civic AC belt. HMM...Before hand, I took off the valve cover to inspect the timing belt which was an aftermarket brand so assuming was changed. Did the mechanic install the wrong crank pulley?? (also the T-belt, looking from the pass side, some of the teeth didnt look too good but looking from the drv side, looked new. what's up with that??) So I installed the old PS belt back on (which btw is the correct part#56992-p3f-003) however it's missing a groove (2 grooves instead of 3). When I started it up again, it was still rubbing! Now I can't say for sure it wasn't before hand but I feel like I would have remembered the noise. So next, I try putting a washer between the top adjusting bolt & at first it seemed to work during fast idle but then began to rub as the idling came down.

Which leads me to my next concern. I don't know if I'm being paranoid but it seemed as if the crankpulley was wobbling a little more than normal at idle. It could be me cuz I haven't seen a b-series motor in a year but I did check to see if the crankpulley bolt was tight & was. The powersteering pulley on the crank has 3 grooves for a belt but you can clearly see the last groove, closest to the engine allows no room for the belt & rubs against the side of the next pulley on the crank. So what gives? Any ideas?

Last edited:
Something obviously aint right. If it has a shimmy to it, id get it fixed right away. That imbalance isn't good for your main bearings or oil pump. I know that the b18/b16 crank pullies are slightly smaller in diameter than the crv ones. Reason I know is that I ran a crv pulley on my old JRSC gsr motor setup for more boost. I had no issues with belts rubbing though. Sounds like someone did one jank work and did use a civic pulley. The d series crank snouts are smaller than b series, so that would explain the wobbling.

Yea I guess I'll find out soon enough. I'm starting to think the civic belt was just a coincidence & the crank pulley might be bad. Someone told me that the rubber could be going bad connecting the outer ring & moving closer to the inner ring hence the belt rubbing. I'm too sure because last time I saw it the rubber inside the pulley didn't look bad but I didn't throughly inspect it either. It's just weird because I've never seen a b-series crankpulley go bad but I guess it's not implausable. But then would a bad crankpulley cause some teeth on the passenger side of the timing belt to wear?
I'm also hearing to check the retainer washer on the crank pulley gear, if it's installed wrong way or missing. #13 in this diagram

Attachments

• 670748.png
    670748.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 2,599
Got everything off at the moment. The crank pulley was shot. I found the reason why the timing belt on the distributor side showed some wear. The upper timing belt cover behind the cam gears is rubbing against the cam gears on both outer edges. I can't seem to manuever it in a way where it doesnt rub. It's almost as if the outer edges were bent in. The only way it doesnt rub is if I push it down but then the bolt holes don't line up. I'm contemplating removing the SOB. Other than that, the T-belt looked great & was recently replaced. Anyone else experience the timing cover rubbing against the cam gears?

Back