Crx wont crank or turn over

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Please let us know when you have tried to check connections. You have yet to state if you have done it or will get to it sometime.

And I gave you the way most gear heads check for spark!

I already tried to check for spark. It still wont crank over it just makes 1 clicking sound still and there is no spark either.

I say it's a ground or power wire connection (there aren't that many)

Or it's money needing to be spent and something with the distributor. They go out sometimes

This morning i had the battery tested this morning and it turned out the battery was good. So i decided to do a couple of test on some thing on the car with a multimeter on 20 dc volts.

starter positive: dropped to 12.46 on crank attempt

starter negative: dropped to 12.49 on crank attempt

battery: Started at 12.98 dropped to 12.18 on crank attempt

starter plug on wire harness: dropped to 0.41 on crank attempt

Do you have a friend with a correct OBD distributor for your motor? I think its something in the distributor.....may the coil inside. Did you check the Engine Harness ground near the thermostat?

It sounds like it was running fine and it began to not start all of the sudden. I suspect the distributor is bad from the oil seal going bad and the oil finally ruining the distributor.

If it was me and I knew my connections were good.....I would (as a last attempt) take the cover off the ECU and make sure nothing is burnt. If that checked out......I would buy a distributor (b/c I know no one close to let me borrow one). Borrow if you can....takes 5 minutes to swap them out. Dont want you spending money you dont need to. Less than $20 to replace the seal on that dizzy

EDIT: The code is 16 let me see what I can google.

Last edited:
Code 16 Fuel Injector System.....defective circuit or unplugged / defective fuel injector

One long flash is a ten......then 6 quick flashes are one each......so 10 + 6 = 16. Check connections there and you may find out its a fuel situation and just need a new seal on the dizzy.

Edit.....have you tested the starter at some auto parts store yet?

Last edited:
Update: replaced the starter with an obd1 and distributor obd1-obd0 plug. I had the starter tested at oreilys auto parts and they said the starter passed all the test so that pretty much rules out the starter. I have a weird feeling it might be the alternator since everything is loosing power when it's at crank position. Unless the ignition switch would be the problem. I looked over at the ecu today and it began to flash 8 short flashes , 1 long , and 6 short. If I'm correct these would be code 8 and 16. So first thing in the morning I'm gonna have the starter and alternator tested and see if there is power the the injector wires/ injectors

I replaced the distributor but not the starter. I s it possible for sometimes a starter to read for it to pass test but can still be bad.

swap the resistor box to see if there maybe something in there.
you've got 2 plugs that control the injectors but it's rare they go bad or disconnected by themselves.

My guess is a corroded or loose ground. check the t-stat, tranny and valve cover ground.

what did you do to it last before it didn't crank?

I replaces the ground to the batter cable and to the transmission. I have the thermostat ground connected too. I took some ground and connected it from the side of the alternator mount to the motor mount bracket.

I replaces the ground to the batter cable and to the transmission. I have the thermostat ground connected too. I took some ground and connected it from the side of the alternator mount to the motor mount bracket.

thats what you did before it didn't crank?

I never go a chanc to hear it crank. I bought the motor from a friend that I know.

Ok, Start from the basics. (1) Put a breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt and verify the the motor is not seized. You want to make sure you turn it Counter clockwise as d series honda's rotate backwards from standard convention. (2) Next verify that you have a good power and ground path to the starter from the battery. (3) Next take the small solenoid wire off of the starter and check it for power while a friend holds the clutch down and turns the key to the start position. If you have good power on that step than try to run a jumper wire from the positive battery terminal down to the solenoid on the starter. If the starter still does not do anything than pull it and take it to someone else than who ever took it to the first time and have it retested. Try these three steps and let me know what you find, than we can take it from there.

Last edited:
very good start right there......

by the way did you ever get those codes looked at? Injector system, etc...

Well luckly i was able to have the car turn over so now it close to starting. I know for sure i need a new ignition coil for my distributor because i'm not getting a spark. I 'm still having the code 16 problem so i'm not a 100% sure where to start from with that.

take a DVOM and ohm out the resistor box and the injectors. If they are all consistent than start continuity testing the injector wiring.

Luckly the car still turns over but for some weird reason wont start. I stuck a straw in the the cylinder head to see if i can smell gas which i know for sure i'm getting. I know the timing on the crank and cams are within specs. I'm not a 100% sure if i'm getting sperk to the cylinders to ignite the air/fuel mixture. Has anybody ran into a problem like this and if so what did you do to correct it?
Also my car is throwing a code 16 which i think is a fuel injector code. Is there a way to test the injector with a multimeter to make sure they are readying properly? or could it be the spark plug wires not pulsing properly

Back