CT -> Chicago road trip / review

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

E_SolSi

Member of the 20 nut club
VIP
Bill and I took off friday morning around 6am from CT and headed for Chicago... me --> :rally: <-- Bill
the drive out there was pretty easy... just under 900 miles... made it in about 15 hours :)
traffic was a little heavy in some areas with bikers and such heading out to Sturgis
overall though the trip was cake

first of all, to anyone that lives near Rt 80, im sorry... no im not appologising, i am expressing sympathy... your area SUCKS.
there is NOTHING out there.... i can literally say, if i had to grow up out there i would have killed myself a long time ago... holy fucking boring
although i do now understand why people from these areas are so into drag racing.... its the only fucking thing you can do on those roads.... everything is flat and straight :thumbsdown:.... we detoured off the highway for about 40 miles in indiana to avoid some traffic..... i think i counted 3 curves in the road, nothing we had to drop under 90 for but at least it broke up the fucking monotony :sleep:
i guess that brings me to the next point and about the only thing that this area of the country has going for it.... you can pretty much travel at any speed you want to on the highways, 110mph feels slow... its like the salt flats without the salt
anyway... rolled into Chicago around 9pm
first thought "HOLY FUCKING LAKE!!!"
went to the apt on the north end of the city that we were staying at, to drop off all of our stuff. went to a little bar / restaurant a few blocks away, had a few drinks walked around for a little while then went and passed out.
Saturday we headed into the city, walked around checking stuff out, took a boat tour, got to see and learn a whole shit load about the architecture in the city (very cool), finished the boat tour and walked around some more... saw the out door theater, the giant reflecting ball, a bunch of cool parks and garden type areas, some REALLY kick ass fountains... Chicago is a very cool city, for people from the north east, its kind of a cross between new york city and boston, without the congestion of new york or the stuck up assholes of boston... i will definatly go back to again some time to check shit out more... a longer stay is most likely required... left the down town area and headed back to the north side... hit a VERY good Thai resturant... went back to the apt, ended up walking around and finding a decent coffee bar... walked around some more then went back and passed out
Sunday we hit up a really good hot dog place then headed into the city again... went to one of the museums, they were having a really cool exibit with REAL disected human bodies... after that we went to the beach... its kinda weird seeing what looks like an ocean without the air smelling salty... the fucking lake has bigger waves than Long Island Sound (the ocean in CT)... hung out there and walked around for a while... this brings me to another observation over the 2 days so far... girls out here have really great tits... average size was C - D... and they were fuckin perky too :thumbsup: ... night time hit... went back to the apt... headed back out in that area... hit up White Castle, god damn i love those shitty little microwaved burgers, i dont know why they are so good they just are :wub: ... walked around some more... found a different coffee bar, better than saturdays but still no where near as good as the one i go to regularly in CT... wandered around a little more... then crashed out for the night
Monday... got up, packed everything into the car, and headed back to CT... flew through Indiana again at about 110 the whole way... cought some sick ass thunderstorm action in Ohio... back into PA :sleep: god damn this state fucking sucks... had to stop for gas in a town called Snow Shoe... what a fucking shit hole... only redeeming value of this town was the $0.25 little debbie snacks at the gas station... took a detour off rt80 about halfway through PA down to a town called Centralia... a coal mine cought on fire there back in the 60s and its still burning today... pretty cool shit... back on the highway ... got home at about 1am and passed the fuck out soon after

definatly a good weekend :thumbsup:

Chicago is a pretty cool place, I have a couple of friends going to school there (One at Northwestern and one at U Chicago). I envy you for seeing that body worlds exhibit, I've wanted to see that since I was like 13 :lol: . For everyone's information, I'm not sadistic; I'm studying biomedical illustration so it would be both cool and informative.

Did you visit any of the Frank Lloyd Wright houses? I've toured a few there and they are amazing. Chicago has a lot of his early stuff, as well has his better known prairy style stuff like Robi House (which is kick ass, everyone should go there).

Maybe I'll have to head to Chicago before I go back to school...I'm dying for some Joy Yee's (awsome chinese food). Sounds like you guys had a good time!

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Aug 9 2005, 01:16 PM-->
first thought "HOLY FUCKING LAKE!!!"
:D

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Aug 9 2005, 01:16 PM
Chicago is a very cool city, for people from the north east, its kind of a cross between new york city and boston, without the congestion of new york or the stuck up assholes of boston... i will definatly go back to again some time to check shit out more... a longer stay is most likely required...

Definately, there's too much to do in one weekend, next time you need to check out the field museum, shedd aquarium, navy pier, and alot more I can't think of at the moment :)

Sunday we hit up a really good hot dog place then headed into the city again...

Home of the red hot baby! :D You literally CAN'T find a bad hot dog place here.

went to one of the museums, they were having a really cool exibit with REAL disected human bodies..

Ooh I've been wanting to see that... But I'm sure you didn't see everything in the Museum of Science and Industry though... That's a whole 'nother weekend in itself, and completely worth it. :)

after that we went to the beach... its kinda weird seeing what looks like an ocean without the air smelling salty... the fucking lake has bigger waves than Long Island Sound (the ocean in CT)... hung out there and walked around for a while...

EVERYONE from the costal states mentions the lack-of-salt-air thing. :)

this brings me to another observation over the 2 days so far... girls out here have really great tits... average size was C - D... and they were fuckin perky too :thumbsup:

Of course I've noticed this too... It must be the salt-free air. :D

hit up White Castle, god damn i love those shitty little microwaved burgers, i dont know why they are so good they just are :wub:

Because they're steamed, not nuked! :D

E_SolSi
@Aug 9 2005, 01:16 PM
definatly a good weekend :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

thats cool man you shoulda went to the art museum downtown...I live in northern indiana so ive been to chicago lol..but we can take the southshore amtrak there...lot shorter :) and yes there are some nice girls there and here as well :D but ya glad to hear you had fun! lol

Originally posted by Bob Vila@Aug 9 2005, 03:28 PM
damnit, I want in on the next roadtrip.
[post=537943]Quoted post[/post]​

be ready, they have been known to happen with less than 15 minutes notice :)

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@Aug 9 2005, 03:31 PM
Did you visit any of the Frank Lloyd Wright houses? I've toured a few there and they are amazing. Chicago has a lot of his early stuff, as well has his better known prairy style stuff like Robi House (which is kick ass, everyone should go there).
[post=537945]Quoted post[/post]​

not sure... i dont think so... most of the stuff i saw was larger buildings / sky scrapers.... i cant remember the names or information of most of them... it was really way too much stuff to try to cram in in 2 days :)

Originally posted by CiViC_SOHC@Aug 9 2005, 03:36 PM
thats cool man you shoulda went to the art museum downtown...I live in northern indiana so ive been to chicago lol..but we can take the southshore amtrak there...lot shorter :) and yes there are some nice girls there and here as well :D but ya glad to hear you had fun! lol
[post=537948]Quoted post[/post]​

it was a pretty full weekend... all shouldas and wouldas will be taken care of on future visits :)

My story of Chicago, circa 2003:

You can't find a fuckin Cubs hat anywhere in Chicago. I've tried.

Bring a wallet. Bring someone else's wallet. You'll need it. Everything is mucho dinero there.

I have over $80 of parking tickets amassed there. CRXs fit on sidewalks.

Here is the cheapest way to park in Chicago: Park somewhere, don't pay the meter. Makes sense right ? Well if you get a parking ticket, you're still good ! Keep that ticket on you and keep it on your windshield. Free parking pass for the day. And if you're parking for 4 hours or so, you'll save money. Trust me.

I simply never paid them :)

-> Steve

Also, check out the El when you're in town.

Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 9 2005, 03:05 PM

-> Steve
[post=537967]Quoted post[/post]​

Wont they simply tow your shit next time you're in town??

Never been to chicago, would love to some time.

Originally posted by phyregod+Aug 9 2005, 04:05 PM-->
@Aug 9 2005, 03:05 PM

-> Steve

Wont they simply tow your shit next time you're in town??

Never been to chicago, would love to some time.
[post=537995]Quoted post[/post]​

More than likely. but I've gone through 3 registration numbers since my visit.

-> Steve

yeah, rt80 definately sucks.

oh, we passed through snow shoe to fuel up the u-haul.

you guys made pretty good time! we did 2200 miles in 37 hours with the uhaul from roswell NM to worcester MA this weekend. :)

Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 9 2005, 03:05 PM
My story of Chicago, circa 2003:

You can't find a fuckin Cubs hat anywhere in Chicago. I've tried.

You mean you couldn't find a cubs hat in the CUBS STORE RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE STADIUM!?

Steve... are you blind?

Nice write up E, I went to see a cubs game in April... it was cold, but worth it. 6 hour round trip.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Aug 9 2005, 03:16 PM
Bill and I took off friday morning around 6am from CT and headed for Chicago... me --> :rally: <-- Bill . . .

:werd:

Back