D15B 3 stage VTEC swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rrathjen

I am considering doing a swap in my 89 honda crx, I am going to buy the original ECU for it the p2j I am unsure if I should buy an obd2 wiring harness or use the original obd0 wiring to wire up the p2j ecm. Should i convert the whole engine bay to obd2, I am wanting to use the engine for its intended purpose for fuel savings not power.

Gas savings?? You should just rebuild another d15 or the one that's in your car. Heck, i'm not easy with mine and I still get 32+ mpg.
I TRIED to be easy and got 38+..

Long ago, I rebuilt a d15 in a 89crx and got close to 36 with a engine that wasn't broken in yet. STOCK w/Port and polish and was at 82hp @the wheels.
It was SOO quiet that I'd have to rev it at a light to see if it was still running. BUT, I sold it.

E

^... I'll stop you before you go on...

The d15b is notorious for its 'lean burn mode,' which can get up to 40-60mpg by crusing at about 60kph. So yea, d15 is nice, having the d15b with vtec-e makes it all fun at top and and gas savings down low.

Edit to mods: Thank you.

Last edited:
The d15b combines the best of both worlds. Vtec-e for gas savings, and normal vtec with a redline at 7k for top end power. So if he wants to push the pedal he can. I love mine. Wish I had the lean burn mode :(

Back