D15B(JDM) Vs D16z6!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

After blowing my relatively new (47,xxx miles) D15B through means of a good turbo kit, I'll never do it again. I was only running 5-6lbs of boost, and that lasted only 3 weeks of rarely driving. And I never drive my cars hard either. Goes to show you how bad the rods are in those engines. So for a little advise, I suggest doing a lot of bottom end upgrading before anything. Strictly all motor for me.

to be honest...if your looking for a solid dd, the d15b is nice because it will save u money on gas and have a slightly higher output than the z6. BUT...

If your looking for more than 9lbs of boost or 200hp...game over. There are no aftermarket rods for the d15b, and as to date a engine tech on Honda Tech still cannot find a piston that is mass produced that fits onto our rods, so thats a no go too. Bottom line

DD or slight boost: d15b
More than 200-220hp: go with the z6

I'm starting to think I shoulda went with the z6, but im' still gonna turbo the fk outta my motor :D

yesh there is not to many aftermarket piston for boost, but there always great stockers for all motor

Parts for the D15B short block are different; mainly the crankshaft and piston.

For performance, I'd go for the D16Z6 because it's pretty much the same motor with larger displacement(stock, horsepower is actually about the same but the D16Z6 has more torque/low-end hp). If you want drop-in reliability, D15B VTEC because most JDM motors have much less mileage than a used USDM D16Z6.

btw, I'm currently building a D15B VTEC; goal is 170whp NA. :)

Are you getting the custom b16a2 rods for your build k2e2vin?
A good friend once told me

"Going N/A is the expensive way to go slow" :D

also ts, the d15b is 130hp the d16z6 is 127hp

That's Honda's rated chp. D15Bs and D16Z6s usually dyno around 105whp.

Are you getting the custom b16a2 rods for your build k2e2vin?
A good friend once told me

"Going N/A is the expensive way to go slow" :D

No, I'm using Crower B18 long-rods with CBR1000RR pistons. NA may be slower than boosted, but it takes more work and research to extract power. Hard way, yes, but you learn more in the process. Plus, this car is being built for road course/handling so the low torque makes it easier to drive. Not to mention, a lot of wheelspin in boosted FWD.

Looks like I am gonna go for the d16z6. Do any of you recommend any online JDM websites to buy the motor from? I have searched local and i havnt been able to find one. Or is there some one on here that wants to sell one with lower mileage?

For the D16Z6, I recommend Japan-Direct. I think their website is usedengine.com, but they have a lot of motors with different miles for different prices. Call them up and tell them what you're looking for.

If you want to go JDM, the ZC VTEC is equivalent to the D16Z6.

If I could find a low mile d16 local I could probably get a deal. But it looks like I may have to order it from a JDM site and most that I seen so far are about $ 1000..

Most are JDM motors are what like 30-45k Mileage wise right?

Should be around there.

JDM D-series should only be about $500-$600 for the longblock.

Have you tried calling Japan-Direct?

Well I did not have any luck yet in finding a motor. But I am going to pull the D15B7 motor out soon. Plan on just unloading it for what ever cash I can get. I was thinking about throwing it on craigslist for 150 any one think i'll get that?

I'll keep every one updated and i'll make a new thread once I start the work.

If everything is good, yeah.

Yea the thing runs greats... its got 174k and I want a vtec now lol. But hell ya what ever I can get toward the swap is good for me.

So you guys ready to spend a few days in the garage with me??? haha

Last edited:
Back