D15B..VTEC WHICH ON IS 120HP(jdm)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'VE heard of a JDM d15b VTEC HOWEVER THERE R 2 kinds a 98hp and a 120 hp
i need 2 know which one is 120hp i wanna swap it in my 92 civic ex(d15b7)
.........ALSO r these d15b vtec good motors......anybody heard anything about it

Originally posted by VTECin5th@Aug 18 2005, 08:16 AM
^ =]
I didnt know/ever hear of a 98 HP JDM motor at all, let alone a d15b.
[i'm often wrong]
[post=541675]Quoted post[/post]​

Come on, not all japanese cars are a bazillion Hp.

Lawl, i'm not saying that dude, but just like i've heard the go around with the "yes there is a jdm d16z labeled exactly that" Since i've never been to japan i can't argue anymore than "No, it's called a ZC"... blah blah blah, i like REAL facts alot more than "well my brother heard from Todd, who works with a guy named Jerry that knows Bill down at Import Heaven, and he said that a b16 should run 12s in a coupe"

SO WHO CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN D D15B WITH VTEC
THAT IS 120HP AND NOT 98 HP

I DID call hmotorsonline and they said there r 3 types
a D15B VTEC-E....(which is a pile of crap)
a D15B vtec which is 98hp....and the motor mounts are a bit angled on the d/s
and D15B vtec 130hp(jdm vti) and the motor mount on the d/s is straight like a
d15b7........however a lot of people r selling they claiming its 130 when its jus a 98hp cause buyers cant tell the difference,,,,,...lol
the valve covers all say vtec.......

any body has iny more info please reply
and thank u?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oooooh, I didn't know what you were asking... Are those people selling them for less than hmotors, cuzz if not, just order one from them. They won't cheat you and give you the 98 hp one.

I wish I could help you tell the difference, but I don't think I've ever seen the 98hp compared to the 130hp one. Sorry. :huh:

Originally posted by scottp11@Aug 21 2005, 11:28 AM
oooooh, I didn't know what you were asking... Are those people selling them for less than hmotors, cuzz if not, just order one from them. They won't cheat you and give you the 98 hp one.

I wish I could help you tell the difference, but I don't think I've ever seen the 98hp compared to the 130hp one. Sorry. :huh:
[post=543098]Quoted post[/post]​

when replacing a d16z6 motor with a d15b vtec u gotta b careful
some guys interchanged parts like the mounts .....
i need 2 know if there is any other way 2 tell the difference

thank u though

Possibily different stampings on teh head/block, but I don't know them.

Originally posted by triniDEMON@Aug 21 2005, 09:07 AM
I DID call hmotorsonline and they said there r 3 types
a D15B VTEC-E....(which is a pile of crap)
a D15B vtec which is 98hp....and the motor mounts are a bit angled on the d/s
and D15B vtec 130hp(jdm vti) and the motor mount on the d/s is straight like a
d15b7........however a lot of people r selling they claiming its 130 when its jus a 98hp cause buyers cant tell the difference,,,,,...lol
the valve covers all say vtec.......

any body has iny more info please reply
and thank u?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[post=543090]Quoted post[/post]​

ok first of all why dont you just take the d15b sohc vtech...its 130hp(its gonna be at my front door in a couple days), and the d15b7 is suppose to be a 102hp motor, it was my first...k now who the hell said it was 130hp with a gay vtech valve cover?

civictuner714, i have feeling you are going to get burnt alot around here, and for good reason.
<_<

Originally posted by triniDEMON@Aug 21 2005, 03:52 PM
SO WHO CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN D D15B WITH VTEC
THAT IS 120HP AND NOT 98 HP
[post=543084]Quoted post[/post]​

i know youve already got your engine, but heres the info anyway: the jdm d15b vtec engines are identified by these differences - the 130 hp youre looking for is a normal vtec configuration (single solenoid) and is a very good engine to use. agressive cam profiling and higher compression than the z6.

the 98 hp you refer to is the vtec-e found in civic vti 92-95. this is the same engine as the vx as far as i can tell. the most obvious differences to identify them from the 130 hp engines will be the valve cover says vtec-e on it, and youll notice the hf style intake manifold (you know, the one so small it looks like a marble would get stuck in there). the operation of this motor is different than standard vtec because it only has one cam profile and instead of jumping to another profile, vtec-e makes one intake valve inactive at low rpms. this creates a swirling effect in the combustion chamber and increases efficiency dramatically. at higher rpm the rocker for the inactive valve is then locked to the rest of the valvetrain.

and finally theres the last one, which is a mutation of both types of vtec. it switches cam profiles and has valve control. this engine is in the obd2 hx (usdm) and ek3 civics in japan. it operates in three stages and identification is easy because there are multiple solenoids instead of just one for vtec.

hope this will help avoid any mixup when buying an engine from someone trying to cheat you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back