D15B7 to Replace D16Y7

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Johnnylawless

Is it possible replace a D16y7 With a D15b7? 1.6 is OBD2 and 1.5 is OBD1, my question is can i use the intake and exhaust manifold on the D15b7? Smog is not an issue,so any info on just making it run ok is what im looking for.
Reason i ask is a freinds 1.6 is knocking really bad and has a friend that has a 1.5l he'll sell him. :worthy:

To be safe, i would say don't buy the B7. Like you mentioned, the B7 is OBD1 and your friend's got an OBD2...wiring would be near impossible (check out 'the differences between OBD1 and OBD2 in the tech section on this site). You can however swap the intake and exhaust manifolds. :( This is a tough one. An idea: look at the Skunk2 conversion harness for like under $300, i think it changes OBD2 cars to accept OBD1 engines. Used for VTEC motor swaps etc. If it worked this way, you could swap the engine, use the old tranny and other parts even the manifolds, and just use the harness where the ecu plugs in. But there still would be wiring issues at electrical units on the car (distributor, alt.,etc.) cuz the plugs on the B7 wont go in the OBD2 harness plugs. The whole thing would be a mess :( Just get another Y7 or even better a Y8 and make everybody happy :(

Yes he'll be fine. especially if he swaps the manifolds over. Almost all the sensors are on the Intake manifold anyway. Only issue may be the distributor, but I'm sure you can make it work, or get a used one for $40 off ebay.

if its knocking, its probably the block. put the 1.6 head on the 1.5 block, and your wiring troubles will cut in half.

and if hes selling that b7 for mroe than 300 bucks... just buy a freakin z6 or y8 from the junkyard

Back