d16 Vtec Worth It?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctovey

Is a 96 D16Y8 worth upgrading?
What are the pros and cons?

Why dont you give the guys some info. on what type of car you're looking to dumping an engine into, and whether you want NA or turbo.

the engine, D16y8 SOHC VTec, is installed into a 1991 Civic LX. Automatic trans (yuck), and I would like to go with turbo, but willing to change my mind if it's in the best interest of the engine

and i would also like to change-over to a manual trans.

The best thing for that engine is probably to turbo it... you can make just over 200whp without any internal upgrades on boost if you're tuned well. Your automatic transmission probably won't like it too much though- I would swap to a manual, drop in an LSD and beefy clutch, then bolt up some traction bars. If you try to build the engine naturally aspirated, good luck getting anywhere near 200whp.

is it in there right now? the prob with d series when boosted is that they blow head gaskets when boost to higher levels. do an engine swap and by an obd-0 b16. they are 1000-1500 for a complete swap if you shop around. To make a d16y8 have the power that a b16 has is going to cost you alot.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Oct 24 2002, 07:14 PM
is it in there right now? the prob with d series when boosted is that they blow head gaskets when boost to higher levels. do an engine swap and by an obd-0 b16. they are 1000-1500 for a complete swap if you shop around. To make a d16y8 have the power that a b16 has is going to cost you alot.

Actually, no. Just bolt up a 55 shot of ZEX and you're done for under $600.

Originally posted by Calesta+Oct 24 2002, 08:15 PM-->
asmallsol
@Oct 24 2002, 07:14 PM

Actually, no. Just bolt up a 55 shot of ZEX and you're done for under $600.

i always take nos out of the pic. never really liked it. plus a b16 is going to be much more reliable than a stock d16 with a 55 shot of nos. I like my car to be fast and reliable

Originally posted by asmallsol@Oct 24 2002, 07:14 PM

the engine is in there right now, with the civic lx auto trans. I got the whole car, with the D16y8 and dragon racing air intake, acura integra distributor, and autometer RPM Module and 3.0 pill, for $300. I would like to see what I can do with the setup I have...Cheap build. not too concerned about most power. Just want to see what my $300 got me.

Best way to go in that case?

Originally posted by ctovey+Oct 24 2002, 08:12 PM-->
asmallsol
@Oct 24 2002, 07:14 PM

the engine is in there right now, with the civic lx auto trans. I got the whole car, with the D16y8 and dragon racing air intake, acura integra distributor, and autometer RPM Module and 3.0 pill, for $300. I would like to see what I can do with the setup I have...Cheap build. not too concerned about most power. Just want to see what my $300 got me.

Best way to go in that case?

I'm no where near an expert, but you're not going to want to keep that engine.

Upgrade it if you have the cash, instead of pouring money into a car with a 'weak foundation'. If you have a shitty engine, no matter how many performance parts you put on it, its still going to have a weak base and not going to yeild the results you want to see.

Do a swap (It'll cost a grand or two, depending what you want), and do the Auto to Manual conversion.

$500 sounds like an extremely reasonable price for that conversion.

if you want to go fast, your stuck. if you jsut want to go a little faster, youre ok with that motor.

55-shot it. best bang for the buck

New2- where'd you get the $500 conversion price from? That's what I paid for mine, but that was also in conjunction with almost $10k worth of other stuff.

The D16Y8 is NOT a 'shitty' motor... it's a very solid engine that can still make excellent power under pressure. You're right though- significant power gains will be had best by changing out the engine.

If he doesn't want to spend thousands upgrading a $300 car though, the nitrous is the best bet for some extra fun on a budget.

I am sticking with my D16Z6 motor for numerous reasons, but You can gain some good HP out of it with boost. Then if you do internals and such you would be able to beat most of the street cars you see everyday or better!

Originally posted by phil379@Oct 25 2002, 09:02 AM
Calesta, if I do the nitrous, what else do I need to upgrade, internally?

i'm not Calesta but... nothing internal... for nitrous focus on fuel upgrades and timing issues... if you run the zex system... like me :D BTW nitrous loves high compression! make sure you can get your hands on AT LEAST 93 octane fuel. here in MD, i can get 100 octane... and oh yea that baby hauls ass... ... you'll have to focus on this also...

55 shot - no ignition ajdustment
65 shot - 2 degrees retarded timing
75 shot - 4 degrees retarded timing
and from my personal experience, get a b&m FPR and set it to 43 psi when running a 75 shot.
i am also running a zex fuel pump to be sure i'm getting enough fuel.

i have a friend with no fuel upgrades or timing adjustments who runs a 75 shot on a b16a2 regularly and has yet to see a problem. so if you upgrade most fuel components and ignition, you should be just fine.

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 25 2002, 12:13 AM
New2- where'd you get the $500 conversion price from? That's what I paid for mine, but that was also in conjunction with almost $10k worth of other stuff.

The D16Y8 is NOT a 'shitty' motor... it's a very solid engine that can still make excellent power under pressure. You're right though- significant power gains will be had best by changing out the engine.

If he doesn't want to spend thousands upgrading a $300 car though, the nitrous is the best bet for some extra fun on a budget.

Someone in the other thread said about it costing around $500

New2- I paid that much, but you'll never see that price if all you want to do with the shop is the conversion.

ctovey- good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back