D16Z6 '92 DelSol Engine Project .. 200 WHP.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRXLOVE

Hello there everyone, I hope all of you are doing great, This is my first post here and I am seeking help regarding this new project that I have, I've bought a used Honda Del Sol 1992, with D16z6 Engine, the one with the 125 hp, I think I've completely prepped for what I'm planning to do, I've added an AEM Cold air intake, Coilover suspension, Rims,a wide bodykit, fixed the Trans-top, deployed brembo Brakes ... Everything,
I have 1500$ remaining in the budget of this project
I want to reach a whp of 200.. That's my target
No Turbo (Why? Cause I live in Egypt and the best guys in the business here know really nothing about fine tuning turbos and engines, my last experience with a turbo on car ended up with rebuilding the engine every 10-11 months ... which is a painful process... plus the traffic here is unbearable sometimes :S)
No Nitrous
and no engine swap with a b16 or a b18 ... It's really really hard to find a not a good one, a working b16 here in Egypt :S

The only option I'm currently stuck with is to order the engine parts online have them shipped here to Cairo and do the rebuild myself with the aid of a friend of mine...

So ... if i want to reach 200 whp, or an acceleration speed of 5-6 seconds 0-100, I don't care about top speed cause simply the roads here aren't quiet that convenient and I'm currently satisfied with the 200-210 km/h top speed i get...

What parts should i get exactly, what kind of work will be needed, what am I lacking in my setup in terms of cooling, mechanics .. etc.,

is there an already made built 4 this engine that did reach that kind of whp? if yes what is the outline or the steps ? can anyone please provide them like 1. you need to do x
2. you need to do y..etc.?

I hope everything is clear in terms of the car and other stuff, Thank you all in advance and looking forward to your replies and answers.

200 wheel horses on a $1,500 budget and no turbo on a D16Z6? Not possible. Sorry, just being honest. You'd be extremely hard-pressed to get a B16 or B18 anywhere near 200 wheel horses for $1,500, let alone a D16...

200 wheel horses on a $1,500 budget and no turbo on a D16Z6? Not possible. Sorry, just being honest. You'd be extremely hard-pressed to get a B16 or B18 anywhere near 200 wheel horses for $1,500, let alone a D16...
i'm willing to increase the budget if I'm going to reach that target without turbos or swapping... still is it possible?

You would be better off with a B18 for the HP you are seeking in a normally aspirated build. That being said, do you have experience with a car of that size/weight with 200 WHP and Front Wheel drive? I ask that, because 160-170 WHP is easier to attain and will still run real good. The Brembo brakes were a good idea.

Last edited:
i'm willing to increase the budget if I'm going to reach that target without turbos or swapping... still is it possible?

You'd need to rebuild the motor with stronger internals, and bump the compression up super high. Bisimoto made like 250ish wheel horses on a D15 back in the day, but the compression was ridiculous, like 15:1. This is going to cost you a shit ton, and it's not going to be very streetable. Turbo would be a FAR better option. Are you sure that there aren't any tuners in your area?

If there are no tuners in your area, you could just order a base map and try to learn tuning yourself (or just run on the base map). If you learned how to tune, you could also make a few extra bucks tuning cars in the area. Just a thought.

^ That's a good thought. To make that kind of power it will take a swap that does it as a complete package. Or, a build and tune.

All motor D16Z6 around 200whp? The cost and time.....(never seen something that close so it's gotta big big $$)

My stock K20R swap is around your goal right now......$8k and I did 95% of it myself. Changes your goal or triple your initial amount intended to spend.

Built B-Series VTEC can make the goal....but I figure the swap, external/internal parts/headwork/tune/etc is around $4500-5500

And I say NO NO to LS/VTEC's :boxing:

Last edited:
You can do 200whp all motor for not too much more than your budget if you're willing to do all the wrench work yourself, but NOT with that engine- not easily. If tuners in your area can't make a basic turbo setup work properly, they're sure as hell not going to be able to tune a naturally aspirated engine that's making 200whp and based on a D16Z6.

1. Learn to tune yourself, turbo the D
2. Learn to tune yourself, swap to a B/H with high compression pistons and cams

If you were stateside, you could get an H block with a B transmission setup for $2500 installed and make 200whp all day long with factory reliability.

I was thinking an H series type S... gets him to about almost 200whp stock

I believe you said you had experience building engines. A "G" series could be an option as well.

I've seen and heard of too many (built "right" w/ARP's and micro polished cranks and bearing and etc.) not even make it to 30,000 miles. No thank you. There's always someone "claiming" to have a solid set up....but yet to see one stand the test of time. I'd rather build a B18C

Mine went 45k miles with no problems, then I mis-shifted and killed it. Bearings came out looking perfect.

theres a ton of B16A SiR2's for sale right now on ebay and JDM engine distributors. I might be getting one and upgrading my rex to OBD1, since I can't find any first gen B16's at all anywhere. Also thinking about just getting a GSR motor since im already thinking in terms of switching to OBD1 anyways.

What I'm trying to say is, go check out some of the B series swaps online... If you put a little more into the budget you could get a much better stock platform to turbo at a later time. At least that's kinda how I'm looking at my project now.

Back